Well, that sucked. The Detroit Red Wings had a 5-2 lead over the Pittsburgh Penguins at one point and lost it courtesy of Jordan Staal, who was most certainly the star of the game with three goals and an assist. Let me back track, the actual game was fantastic. Plenty of action, scoring, and some of the best forwards in the league on one sheet of ice. The end result was obviously not what I or any other Wings fan wanted and that part was disappointing.
Since there were 13 goals in one NHL game, I don't have the time to recap the game goal by goal. However, I do want to make a few comments on the action.
- Defense and goaltending were not the positives of the night for either team. Chris Osgood allowed seven goals on 34 shots. Marc-Andre Fleury gave up six goals on 34 shots.
- Nicklas Lidstrom logged 29:26 in tonight's game. Crazy.
- Darren McCarty scored first for Detroit with a Kirk Maltby assist.
- After missing five games due to a sprained knee injury, Johan Franzen scored his sixth goal of the season.
- Jiri Hudler had quite the game with one goal and two assists for Detroit.
- The Wings seemingly collapsed five minutes into the third period and the trips to the penalty box certainly didn't help either.
You can check out Frank's review of the game over at PensBurgh.