Since this is only the third one of these we've done, I'll go over the new style for those that may have missed it. We're switching the morning skate to serve mainly as a pre-game thread for you to discuss different topics about the game and around the NHL as well. We've also tossed in a little extra fun with a prediction game to for player of the game as well as the final score of the game.
Detroit's had some time off after beating the Avalanche 3-1 on Saturday but get a tough St. Louis team tonight. Can the Wings step it up at home and continue winning or will St. Louis get back on track?
St. Louis Game Time is your SB Nation affiliate for the St. Louis Blues.
More after the jump.
Jimmy Howard will start in net tonight for Detroit. He had a strong out against Colorado, stopping 21 of 22. He'll be facing a St. Louis team that averages about the same number of shots per game as Colorado does (32 or so). How will he fare in tonight's game against the Blues?
- I'm recycling this from yesterday: Jaroslav Halak gave up six goals last night against the Avalanche. Halak has dropped three straight starts after ripping off six straight wins before that. He's allowed twice as many goals in those three losses than he did in those six wins. Is this good news for the Wings or is Halak in position (if he starts) to have a monster performance and stop like 72 shots?
- TJ Oshie is out with a fractured ankle and the Blues are facing some injury problems:
St. Louis Blues Injuries
- Can the power play get anything going soon? The units have been pretty middle of the road and Babcock hasn't been too happy with that. Don't make him angry, you won't like him when he's angry. Hopefully, as Rafalski gets back into his routine, the power play will pick up with it.
Looks like Jiri Hudler will stay with Valtteri Filppula and Johan Franzen. This means Todd Bertuzzi will be down on the third line again with Dan Cleary. With the way Cleary is scoring and Bert is passing, I like this combo. Is the mix and match with the second/third line something that will continue to work or is it something that needs to be figured and left alone?
- St. Louis lost 6-3 against Colorado the last time they took the ice. Despite three straight losses, the Blues are still a very dangerous team. Which version shows up tonight?
- Nashville lost to Toronto 5-4 last night. Former Detroit defenseman and future Hall of Famer went -2 in the game. Clarke MacArthur had 3 assists but was a -4. How does that happen you ask? Well, when all three of your assists come with your team on the power play.
- Selection time! Player of the game: Jimmy Howard. I think he'll have a great game and with Halak at the other end, he'll need to have a great game.
- Score: Wings win 2-1 in a very tight game. This will be the second biggest test of the season for the Wings and it should be pretty competitive against the rival Blues.