" ...and Cleveland, from Detroit. And Tex--well I don't remember where Tex came from."
Detroit comes off an emotion filled game as Chris Osgood won his 400th career game and Niklas Kronwall won the game in overtime on the powerplay. Dallas won last night but both teams will put their last games behind them and focus on tonight's match-up.
After the Stars beat the Wings in overtime, they beat the Canadiens but dropped two straight--to Calgary in a shootout and Phoenix 1-0. In last night's victory over the Predators, the Stars dominated the third period with three goals to close out the 4-2 win. Although last night wasn't one, the theme of the Stars' season has been close games and 7 of their last 10 have been one-goal games. Overall on the season the Stars have won 14 of their 22 in this fashion, but then again there's not much room for me to criticize them for that as 9 of Detroit's 23 have come in one-goal games. Again, this just means you can expect a fairly close game between the 1st and 3rd place teams in the Western Conference.
Defending Big D is your Stars' SB Nation affiliate.
More after the jump and the form.
- Most likely, Jimmy Howard will start in net. Howard played against the Wild on Sunday and earned a 4-1 win. Will Jimmy have another solid performance or will the Stars
- Kari Lehtonen will start for the Stars. You know what's cool about Lehtonen? Google "Kari Lehtonen Mask" and you'll see at least three examples. My favorite is this one.
- Niklas Kronwall's game-winning overtime goal was his 8th goal of the year, a career high for the Swede. Kronwall's 8th goal is as many as Ilya Kovalchuk. Classy at half the price.
- I think Patrick Eaves has been one of the more under-appreciated players on the team this year, 8 goals out of a 3/4 liner (depending on the line-up) guy and a penalty killer--all for $750,000. I really like the direction Eaves is taking his game
- How will Jan Mursak play? I think he was pretty good in his NHL debut against the Avalanche and he could have a good game again tonight as long as he stays out of the box. I like the backcheck he had in the Avs game, apparently he has some good wheels?
- Kind of sad to see that Jason Williams signed with the Connecticut Whale of the AHL. Williams breaking his leg last year spelled the end of a comeback in Detroit and likely cost him getting a NHL job.
- Of note: Darryl Sutter resigned as GM of the Calgary Flames and was replaced by Jay Feaster. Previously, Feaster was the Lightning GM for six years.
- Score Prediction: 3-2 Detroit, I think the Wings wear down the Stars in the second and third periods and start to click.
- Player of the Game Prediction: Henrik Zetterberg. I need to get one right eventually so why not go with the guy leading the Wings in points?
- Around the League: Crosby extended his streak blah blah blah, the Canucks whooped the Flyers 6-2, Blues over Hawks 3-1, Bruins 4 Fightin' Yzermans 3.