The Red Wings return to Detroit after a three-game trip out to the West Coast, a trip they picked up 5 of a possible 6 points on. Two of those points came on Tuesday night with a 5-3 win over tonight's opponent, the San Jose Sharks. Henrik Zetterberg put up a four point night with two goals and two assists in the win and Pavel Datsyuk's highlight reel goal and assist were enough to give the Red Wings two points.
Tonight the Wings look to continue on their success at home as they have a 10-1-2 record at home. The Sharks are 5-5-2 on the road.
(For those that missed it on Saturday)
Hey folks, so we've got a bit of a new format that we're going to try out for our little prediction contest. It gets a little difficult to track all of the predictions throughout the day with all of our schedules so we're going to try something a bit new out after the jump to make things easier.
More after the jump...but not much more since we played them on Tuesday
- Jimmy Howard is expected to get the start in net for Detroit. Chris Osgood started on Saturday and played pretty well, didn't deserve the loss in the game but it's the way things played out. Howard will probably get the start at home tonight and
- In their two games since playing Detroit, the Sharks dropped a 4-0 beat the Senators (Heatley's return to Ottawa, Niemi in net) and lost to the Canadiens 3-1 (Niemi in net). The odd thing is they only allowed 19 shots on net against the Canadiens and lost but allowed 28 to the Senators and won.
- Antti Niemi is expected to start tonight for the Sharks. Niemi was superhyped around the league last year and I didn't really ever buy into it. I think we're really starting to see this season that he really benefited from the incredible team in front of him in Chicago. This year, he's having to work hard to get his wins because the Sharks defense has been reduced by injuries and the departure of Rob Blake. In his career, Niemi is 2-1-1 with one of those wins coming in the shootout. That was the shootout in which Pavel Datsyuk did the soft pop fly over Niemi and Todd Bertuzzi did a spin move, as is customary in the Bertuzzi household.
- The Sharks now sit in last place in the Pacific Division with 28 points through 25 games. Last year through 25 games the Sharks had 34 points
San Jose Sharks Injuries
- Score Prediction: 2-0 Detroit. I think Detroit might have a tougher go of it tonight than they did on Tuesday of last week.
- Player of the game Prediction: Jimmy Howard. Well, if I predict that above, I have to go with this right?
- Off topic discussion: State your case for why you are the classiest Red Wings' fan.