Surely the Red Wings want to put forth a better effort than on Monday against the Sharks, a 5-2 loss. I am serious, and don't call me Shirley. I just made myself sad.
Nashville currently sits (tied) in last place in the Central Division with 30 points, 7 behind Detroit. It's been a rockier road than expected for the Predators so far. They started out a perfect 3-0 and looked poised to be a challenger for the Central Division crown after last year's 100+ point season. They followed that start with three consecutive overtime losses. Two wins got them back on track right? Wrong. The Preds dropped five straight games before winning two straight in the shootout. In short: this team is very streaky and unpredictable.
Pekka Rinne has played in 9 more games than Anders Lindback but a knee injury to Rinne means Lindback will start. Lindback is 4-1-2 this season with a 2.71 GAA and will be called on to stop the NHL's most prolific offense.
(Last time we post the reminder, I swear)
Hey folks, so we've got a bit of a new format that we're going to try out for our little prediction contest. It gets a little difficult to track all of the predictions throughout the day with all of our schedules so we're going to try something a bit new out after the jump to make things easier. Don't forget to vote on it either.
On the Forecheck is your SB Nation Predators' affiliate. More after the jump.
- Caption the photo above by leaving a comment below.
- Did you caption it yet? Do it.
- I suppose Jimmy Howard will be starting in net. Jimmy had a bad performance (helped out by a bad defense) against the Sharks on Monday. Howardever, he has shown in the past that he is more than capable of bouncing back with a big performance. Do we get good Jimmy tonight?
- The Predators have to have the tallest goaltending tandem in NHL history. Pekka Rinne (he of the double consonant in first and last name club) is 6'5" and Anders Lindback is 6'6". What does it mean? Absolutely nothing. Although, they probably help 5'8" Francois Bouillon get the cookies off the top shelf.
- Nashville's goal scoring is very, very well distributed: 3 players with 6 goals, 2 with 4, 3 with 3, 6 with 2. In classy terms: equitable apportionment.
- Let's see, we're playing Nashville? Joel Ward will score a hat trick or something. Six of Ward's 32 goals have come against Detroit. Unclassy.
- *Checks if it's home or away game* Sweet, no train whistles. Toots leads the Predators in PIMs and... giveaways, that's about it.
- It's not the be all and end all in hockey but +/- is a decent indicator at a quick glance of how things are going for a player. Shea Weber is a -10 this year. I would imagine a good portion of those minuses have come against the opposition's top lines though.
- Score prediction: 4-3 Detroit
- Player of the game prediction: Johan Franzen. Make me proud/right tonight, Johan.
- Scores around the league last night: Habs over Sens 4-1, Bruins over Sabres 3-2 in OT, Panthers over the Avs 4-3 in OT, Flames 4 Yzermans 2, Cam Fowler won the game in the 10th round of the SO for the Ducks over the Oilers (3-2).
- Topic for discussion: Will the Predators start to surge back and get back to where they were last year or are they going to stay at the bottom of the division?