One of my top ten Bob Marley songs, time for another themed post? Sure. It'll start with lyrics from the song in bold then go into the preview.
- There was a Buffalo soldier or as he's more commonly known, Ryan Miller. Miller's heroics during the Olympics should earn him a standing ovation as he returns to his home state to start in net tonight. Miller helped to carry the heavy load for the United States in the Olympics and his outstanding performance should be applauded tonight.
- In the heart of America okay so maybe not quite the heart of America but the game tonight is in the Joe, where the Red Wings are 18-10-5 not the best record but not the worst either. Buffalo is 15-12-3 on the road.
- Fighting on arrival is pretty much the way Drew Miller has played since he got in Detroit and boy has it payed huge dividends for the Red Wings. Drew has more goals this year with the Red Wings than he had his entire NHL career. He's quickly becoming one of those guys that Detroit fans have a soft spot for because of the way he hustles night in and night out.
- Fighting for survival is what the Red Wings have been doing the past couple of weeks. Heading down the final 15 games, they sit one point back of Calgary for the 8th spot in the West. Detroit got a little bit of help in terms of looking in the rear-view last night as Dallas lost, leaving Detroit 5 points ahead of the 10th and 11th place teams. Calgary is idle.
- If you know your history Jimmy Howard starts for the 15th consecutive game. He's really starting to push his resume towards Calder Trophy status. His record is now 25-15-8 with a 2.35 GAA and a .924 SV%. Jimmy will need to be on his game tonight against a solid Buffalo team.
- Then you would know where I'm coming from when I say that the Red Wings need to keep passing like they have been recently. It's leading to better scoring opportunities and an all around better game.
- Then you wouldn't have to ask me about the leading scorer for Buffalo. Thomas Vanek leads the Sabres with 22 goals. Tim Connolly leads Buffalo with overall points at 58 (15 G, 43 A)
- Just who the heck do I think I am? Brett Lebda's been playing pretty exceptional of late. Maybe he just flipped a switch and things have finally come together for him. He's been a + in 5 of the last 6 games and has had noticeably improved play. I think eight_legged_freaks was on to something perhaps.
- Lastly, check out Die By The Blade for all your Sabres related news, notes, and insight.