Since (as the title states) we just did this last week, this will probably be a fairly short preview.
- Jimmy Howard will likely start in net. Howard struggled badly with rebound control against the Sabres and it cost him twice. If he can control the rebounds better tonight, the better the chance the Wings have at pulling out a victory.
- Needless to say, the Red Wings need to come out with much more purpose than they did last game out against Calgary. Many of you remember seeing a very uninspired and lazy Red Wings team take the ice and lose to Calgary last week.
- Just like last week, this game is huge in terms of Western Conference playoff implications. Vancouver downed the Flames last night by a score of 3-1, leaving Detroit with sole possession of 8th place. Detroit could go up 3 points on Calgary with only 13 games to play. It wouldn't bury the Flames but it sure would boost the Wings.
- The race for 8th seed is turning out to be a two horse race between Detroit and Calgary. St. Louis, Minnesota, Dallas, and Anaheim are all falling off the map in terms of trying to keep pace. St. Louis is 5 points back of Detroit right now and Anaheim 8 points.
- Detroit is 6-2-2 in it's last 10. That's not bad, not bad at all. Calgary is 5-4-1.
- Miikka Kiprusoff will likely start for Calgary. Hopefully, Finland vs. USA Kiprusoff will show up for the game.
- Pavel Datsyuk now has a goal in 4 of the last 5 games and points in 8 of the last 10. Good numbers from the guy you want to lead your offense.
- Of Tomas Holmstrom's 19 goals, 10 have come by way of the power play. Calgary's penalty kill is 10th in the league but we'll see how much all that matters when #96 plants himself in front of Kipper. Calgary takes close to 15 minutes in penalties per game so the Wings should get a few cracks at the PP.
- Matchsticks and Gasoline is your SB Nation affiliate for Calgary Flames stuff, give it a read.