Detroit faces Columbus again, the second time in three days, in an attempt to earn their 10th straight 100 point season.
- Jimmy Howard will start in net for the Red Wings tonight. Howard didn't look too great against Columbus last time out but the defense hung him out to dry on a play or two and then some great individual efforts by the Jackets resulted in goals. Hopefully he'll turn it up tonight in anticipation for the playoffs.
- A win tonight or on Sunday (or two OT/SOL would do the trick) would put the Wings at the number necessary for their 10th consecutive 100 point seasons.
- The Wings have announced the call ups for the playoffs. Fans will be pleased that Justin Abdelkader returns to Detroit for the postseason. The other players called up are Brad May, Mattias Ritola, Jan Mursak, Doug Janik, Jakub Kindl, and Daniel Larsson is the third string goalie.
- Khan also notes in the article that it could motivate certain players to play better. In my opinion the only guy that could potentially lose his spot is Jason Williams. Abdelkader would provide more energy and physicality than Williams does with about the same scoring touch.
- The Murph was recognized in the final regular season at the Igloo as the Penguins spanked the Islanders 7-3.
- Mike Modano, in his last regular season home game with the Dallas Stars, tied the game at 2 with 1:47 to play. As one of the best American hockey players to ever play, it was fitting that Mike would come up big at the time it was needed the most. Modano had an assist on the first Dallas goal. The game went to the shootout and, you guessed it, Modano got the game winner in the shootout. It was also Marty Turco and Jeri Lehtinen's last home game in Big D and Turco stopped both Anaheim shooters and Lehtinen got the clinching goal.
- Back to the Wings, Pavel Datsyuk leads the Wings with 27 goals and could possibly get a 30 goal season in the last two games. Datsyuk and Zetterberg are tied for the team lead in points with 69 points.
- Of course, the day that I praised Andreas Lilja he went -3. Lils was extra slow and lackadaisical against the Blue Jackets on Wednesday. Hopefully it was just a bad night. Do we really want to have to rely on Brett Lebda and Jonathan Ericsson to play each night in the playoffs?
- As Drew pointed out on NOHS, Alex Burrows is a douche:
"We don't mind facing anyone," he said, "but as far as Detroit, the only thing I dislike is having to fly there and having to stay there, to have to spend a couple of days in that city."
Does he write for SCH or something?
- Steve Mason played out of his mind against the Wings in the last game. Mason stonewalled the Wings on some of their best chances and then let in some of the easier shots they put on net. Go figure.
- The Cannon is the link for Jackets coverage on SB Nation.