Although the Red Wings have had more success than practically any other team on the last 20 years, there are still a few things that i think need to be done in relation to the club. So without further adieu, i present my list of demands after the jump
1. Plaque for the grind line: Sure, none of them are ever going to the Hall of fame, but these guys were one of the most famous lines we ever had. They went head to head with the Legion of Doom and left Eric Lindros banged up and bruised. These guys are heroes around here, and although they shouldn't get their banners hung up, they deserve something, right?
2. Something for Konstantinov: We all know about Vladimir Konstantinov, what happened to him was terrible, and should never have to happen to anyone. The 1998 season was emotional because of what happened to Vladdy, and when we won then cup, we engraved his name alongside the teams'. I believe that Vladimir deserves something, probably the most fitting would be to retire his number, not for his accomplishments (which were still many), but because of the impact he had on the team.
3. Chris Osgood's number hung up: I know this won't get me any fans, but i believe that he deserves it. After all, when we look back at the dynasty we had in the 90's and 00's, who is the goalie that we call ours during this success? It is definitely not Hasek, or Vernon, so it's got to be Ozzie. Through out history, the only real cup winning goalie we could call our own was Sawchuk, and now we have Osgood. I can understand if they don't do it, but i think that they should at least consider it. It is the best thing we could do for a man who lived and breathed Red Wings hockey
4. One more for Nicky: This one is a no-brainer. We all want to see Lidstrom, undoubtedly the best defenseman of his era, go out on top with one last Stanley Cup. In 2008 he became the first European born and trained player to captain a Cup winning team. And with four already to his name, to see him leave hockey with five cups would be the perfect finish to his career. Another Norris might be nice too.
5. That goddamn Calder trophy back: Barret Jackman does not deserve that trophy and he knows it. Henrik Zetterberg is a Conn Smythe winner, he has scored a Stanley cup winning goal. Hell, even Rick Nash is more successful than Jackman, clearly the NHL gave it to the wrong guy. Now, i know they can't give it back, but how about we all just pretend that Z is new to the NHL and watch him tear it up? Then we can just give him the award this year. That's how it works right?
And that about does it, hope you enjoyed my list of demands!