This is NOT the team we're playing. We already played them and won 5-2 on Thursday. We're actually just playing the Thrashers.
Done with the old Jets...on to the new Jets.
The old Jets are our bitch. You know...because they're the Coyotes and we just put up five goals on them in the first period and knocked them out of the playoffs the last two seasons.
The new Jets kind of own us recently...because, you know, they're the Thrashers. They have nothing to do with the old Jets because the old Jets are now in Phoenix. The Red Wings have not beaten new Jets a.k.a. the Thrashers since the 2008-2009 season. Granted, Detroit has only played them twice since then. Last season the Wings got their asses handed to them the day before Thanksgiving in a 5-1 loss in Atlanta. Let's just assume they were all just thinking about turkey and not the turkey that is Dustin Byfuglien. In the 2009-10 season, the Wings lost, yet again, on the day before Thanksgiving. That year it was a 2-0 shutout at home. Slava Kozlov had a goal and an assist and Brett Ledba took a penalty. Shocking.
This season we no longer have to worry about the "Thrashgiving Curse" because the Thrashers are now the Jets and it's not the day before Thanksgiving. So let's take our trend of whooping up on the old Jets who are now the Coyotes and apply it to the new Jets who used to be the Thrashers even though those two franchise have nothing to do with each other. Plus, Mark Sanchez sucks. So let's beat the Jets. Okay?
Arctic Ice Hockey is your SBNation Jets' blog.
Puck drop is just after 7p ET.
The Expected Lineup
Jimmy Howard (starting)
|JETS||HOW THEY MATCH UP||RED WINGS|
|2.86 (11th)||Goals Per Game||3.00 (T-7th)|
|3.00 (T-20th)||Goals Against Per Game||2.26 (6th)|
|18.0% (13th)||Power Play %||20.0% (T-6th)|
|81.4% (19th)||Penalty Kill %||80.2% (23rd)|
|Evander Kane (15 goals)||Goal Leader||Johan Franzen (13 goals)|
|Evander Kane (23 points)||Points Leader||2 tied with 26 points|
- The Red Wings are 9-4-0-0 (W-L-T-OTL) all-time against the Jets/Thrashers.
- Detroit is streaky. They're like the Franzen of hockey teams. 5 wins...6 losses...4 wins...2 losses...7 wins...2 losses...and now they have one win so it's natural that the streak continues right?
- Speaking of streaks, the Jets have a four-game winning streak right now. They've won the four games at home, however, they are 1-6 in their last seven road games.
- The Wings ended Boston's 10-game unbeaten streak the day after Thanksgiving. The Jets ended Boston's 15-game point streak on Tuesday. The two streak beaters collide tonight. Let's hope the Wings streak busting powers are greater than that of the Jets.
- This is the only time these two teams meet this season, but pay close attention because the Jets are moving into our conference next year. Between Byfuglien and Kyle Wellwood, Detroit restaurants won't have to worry about going out of business in the foreseeable future.
- Franzen, Zetterberg and Filppula all have 10 points in their last 10 games. Hudler has 9 points in his last 10 games (and four points in his last two games). Datsyuk has 16 points in his last 11 games. Our best players need to be our best players and right now they are acting and playing like our best players.
- After leaving Thursday's game against the old Jets for precautionary reasons, Datsyuk didn't not practice yesterday but will play tonight according to Babcock
Prediction: The trend of streaking and beating other people's streaks continues. The Wings put the Jets in their place and avenge their losses the to the Thrashers. Wings win 4-1 and Henrik Zetterberg is your player of the game.
Let's Go Red Wings.