Today's number is 59. Why you ask? Because I'm spelling something with the atomic symbols corresponding to the atomic numbers.
- The Montreal Canadiens won the 1959 Stanley Cup over the Toronto Maple Leafs in 5 games.
- No Red Wing has sported the number 59...yet. Hear that, Brendan Smith?
- As pictured, Chad LaRose wears 59 for the Hurricanes. LaRose is a product of the state of Michigan. Other players to wear 59: Michael Haley (NYI), Keith Aulie (TOR), Brad Staubitz (when he was with the Sharks), Rob Klinkhammer (CHI, awesome name) and Brandon Yip wore it last year for the Avalanche.
- The number of goals Dennis Polonich scored as a Red Wing.
- The number of assists Steve Yzerman had in the 1984-1985, 1986-1987, and 1995-1996 seasons. Pavel Datsyuk had 59 assists in the 2005-2006 season. Gordie Howe also had 59 assists in 1968-1969 season.
- Dan Cleary will be playing his 59th game of the season tonight.
- The number of assists Martin St. Louis has this season with the Lightning.
- Edmonton doesn't even have 59 points. Womp womp.
- Trivia time: Which major league pitcher played until age 59?
More after the jump and make sure to add your own.
Trivia answer: Satchel Paige
Other facts about 59:
- Just like Friday's number (11), 59 is a prime number.
- 59 is the atomic number of Praseodymium (Pr)...yes, really.
- For Petrella: John Swartzwelder wrote 59 Simpsons episodes.
- I want a '59 Chevy Apache.
- and a '59 Gibson Les Paul.
- I am out, your turn.