Well well well, the Number of the Day returns after a week off because I had entirely too much work to do and not nearly enough time. Apologies to those that were looking for it all week, hopefully won't happen again. Anywayyyyyy....
Today's number is 20, brought to you by THE HYPNOTOAD.
- The number of consecutive playoff appearances by the Red Wings. Ahhhh, that's so fun to say.
- Mickey Redmond wore #20 for the Red Wings. During his 317 games with the Red Wings, Mickey scored 177 goals and added 133 assists and used wood sticks, not those ridiculous composites.
Drew Miller currently wears #20 for the Red Wings. Miller has become a fan favorite (except for a RWGDOTCOM podcaster who probably thinks he should be thrown into a fiery pit) for his work ethic, salt'n'pepper hair, overall play and superman ability (see above).
- The number of assists Darren Helm has this season. The number of total points Patrick Eaves has this season. The average TOI for Brian Rafalski this year. The number of power play assists for Henrik Zetterberg.
- Brent Gilchrist scored 20 goals with the Red Wings. Tomas Kopecky had 20 career assists in Detroit.
Red Wings All-Time Leaders--20th:
Goals: Red Kelly--162
Assists: Gary Bergman--243
Points: Igor Larionov--397
PIM: Marcel Pronovost--717
- Jimmy Howard is 20th All-Time for the Red Wings in losses with 35. On the flip side, he's #12 in wins, tied with Glenn Hall with 74 wins.
- Dominik Hasek and Roger Crozier both had 20 shutouts with the Red Wings.
- The number of games played by Norm Maracle for the Red Wings.
- The number of combined Cups won by active Red Wings Nicklas Lidstrom (4), Tomas Holmstrom (4), Kris Draper (4), Chris Osgood (3), Brian Rafalski (3) and Pavel Datsyuk (2). Hopefully, this number goes up to 26 after this season.
- Other Red Wings to wear #20, via redwings.nhl.com :
Sid Abel, Jack Keating, Bob Whitelaw, Rudy Zunich, Tony Bukovich, Gerry Couture, John Mowers, Red Kelly, Enio Sclisizzi, Larry Wilson, Glen Skov, Gord Haidy, Leo Gravelle, Max McNab, Jim Hay, Jim Peeters, Marcel Bonin, John Bucyk, Don Poile, Bob Bailey, Len Lunde, Bob Solinger, Howie Young, Parker MacDonald, Don McKenney, Murray Hall, Dean Prentice, Ed Hatoum, Jim Niekamp, Mickey Redmond, Dwight Schofield, Don Martineau, Vaclav Nedomansky, Dwight Foster, Tim Higgins, Greg C. Adams, Marc Potvin, Brad Marsh, Martin Lapointe, Luc Robitaille, Mark Mowers, Robert Lang, Aaron Downey, Brad May, Drew Miller
- Trivia Question: Which Russian Five member scored 20 goals in the playoffs as a Red Wing?
Trivia answer and more after the jump
Trivia Answer: Igor Larionov.
More on the number 20.
- How many years constitute a "score".
- The number of digits on hands/feet. I hope.
- The atomic number of Calcium. MAKE THEM BONES STRONG.
- The number of ounces in a regular sized bottle of soft drinks, water, etc.
1920 Events (thanks, Wikipedia!):
- The 19th Amendment passes, giving women the right to vote.
- The Red Sox traded Babe Ruth to the Yankees in 1920.
- The NFL was founded in 1920.
- I kid you not (no pun intended). "The United States Post Office Department rules that children may not be sent via parcel post"
- Births: Isaac Asimov, James Doohan (Scotty), Ravi Shankar, Denver Pyle, Pope John Paul II, Christopher Robin Milne (Winnie-the-Pooh's Christopher Robin's namesake), Charlie Parker, Mickey Rooney, Mario Puzo (The Godfather author), Stan Musial.
- Deaths: Like I'm gonna recognize any of these names...