Sorry for my absence yesterday, my chauffeur services were required in southern Ohio.
- Yesterday, the Flyers shocked the league by blowing up their perennial contender by shipping Jeff Carter to the Blue Jackets and Captain Mike Richards to the Kings. Carter will provide Rick Nash with the first real second scoring option of his career and Richards will team with Dustin Brown and Anze Kopitar to form one of the best top forward lines in the league. They also signed Ilya Bryzgalov to a 9 year, $51 million deal. You can discuss these moves in this fanpost from yesterday.
- Sharks fans can breathe a sigh of relief as the team has resigned Devin Setoguchi to a 3 year deal before he hit free agency.
- You can officially cross Andrei Markov off our lists.
- This just in: everyone hates Jay Mohr.
- The Rangers, Kings, Ducks, and Sabres will begin their season in Europe, playing in Helsinkin, Berlin, and Stockholm.
- Pretty much everyone expects the Wings to draft a slew of defensemen over the next two days.
- As reported by all hockey news outlets, the salary cap for next season is officially $64.3 million. I am going to credit this one to Malik, though, just because I like saying Malik. Malik. The Wings will have $16.2 million to play with, per the ever awesome Capgeek. Also, Malik.
- Holland "expect[s] to be active" today. Sounds like he is putting it out there that we need a top tier defenseman, have decent picks and assets, and have cap space to accommodate a trade. Anyone expecting a big trade to happen today? Or just typical "trade down three spots to get a 5th rounder next year" stuff?