No real reason to use this photo, it just looks cool.
- Per Malik, the Red Wings will announce both of Mike Babcock's new assistant coaches today. Western Michigan University coach Jeff Blashill, former Florida coach Pete DeBoer, and ex-Windsor Spitfires coach Bob Boughner are amongst the most popular candidates, although Marc Crawford is also in the running, despite his history with the Avalanche.
- Malik also supports Wyshnyski's "Commodore 64" campaign. I have to admit, this needs to happen.
- No details yet on the Chris Conner contract, but it looks to be a 1 year, 2 way deal and he will likely spend most, if not all, of the year with the Griffins. Along with Garnet Exelby, the Griffins are seeing its fair share of NHL talent injected into the lineup.
- While a two-way deal for Conner will certainly help Kris Draper's chances, it is still unlikely he will be back next season.
- Breaking News: Ken Holland wants Brendan Smith playing with the Wings next season. Sounds like the signings of Commodore, Ian White, and Jonathan Ericsson were as much a fallback as they were a means to push Smith to work harder for that spot.
- The Predators have worked out contracts with all but one of the RFAs that they tendered botched offers to a few weeks ago. The problem? They still have not locked up potential star Sergei Kostitsyn.
- Remember all the nonsense last year when the NHL pushed police to issue citations for throwing octopi onto the ice at the Joe? One fan had his case thrown out yesterday after the officer didn't show up at court.
UPDATE (9:34PM EST)
Per CapGeek, Conner's deal is in fact a 2-way deal. His NHL salary will be $550k and his AHL salary will be $150k.