Zach Parise showing the media his new contract.
- Zach Parise re-signed with the Devils this weekend. 1 year, $6 million to avoid arbitration this week. It sounds like both sides are committed to signing an extension before next summer when he would become an unrestricted free agent. That said, the Devils sincerely thank Garth Snow for taking Brian Rolston off their hands.
- With Parise off the market, there are just two top-tier free agents remaining a month after the start of free agency: Shea Weber and Drew Doughty. The Predators will go to arbitration with Weber tomorrow if a last minute deal is not struck. I have heard nothing on the Doughty front in a week or so. Sounds like he is still wanting a monster deal, though.
- The Islanders future will be decided today. A $350 million arena deal is being voted upon and all indications show it is unlikely to pass. If a new arena is not built, it is likely the Islanders will leave Long Island. Possible locations include moving cross town to the beautiful new Barclays Center, future home of the Brooklyn/New Jersey Nets, and moving a few hundred miles north to either Quebec or Hamilton.
- Alexei Kovalev is going to the KHL. Alex, mind taking Jiri Hudler with you?
- Brent Sopel is also off to Russia. This one is definitely surprising as Sopel is only 34 years old, is not a bad player by any means, and is Canadian.
- Despite a guilty plea and accepting a jail sentence, it looks like Nikolai Khabibulin will not serve any time. The Bulin Wall received a DUI in February, 2010.
- Kings GM Dean Lombardi is still upset with Edmonton over the state of Colin Fraser, who they received in a June trade for Ryan Smyth. Trade is unlikely to be voided, but the Oilers may have to cough up a draft pick or cash as compensation.
- The ever-watchful eyes of TPL have noticed that three jerseys are now available in the NHL Store and suggest that the trio of prospects have been invited to training camp.
- Late Addition: Puck Daddy finished off their 2011-2012 position rankings this weekend with their top 25 goalies. Needless to say, a lot of people have a lot of issues with these rankings.
For the topic of the day, let us discuss the Wings arena situation. Would you like to see the Wings move into a brand new arena or renovate the Joe, possibly on the scale of Madison Square Garden? Since it is likely that the new arena's naming rights will be sold in order to help pay for the build, any suggestions?