- We will begin today on a sadder note. Rick Rypien of the Winnipeg Jets died yesterday. He took a leave of absence from the Canucks nine months ago to deal with personal problems but signed a contract with the Jets last month and reports say he was excited to rejoin the game. [Arctic Ice Hockey]
- Update: In light of the tragic death of Rypien and with the recent loss of Derek Boogaard, Peter from Silver Sevens offers up an informative and interesting read about the effects of fighting. This is not a "Why Fighting is Bad" post, but rather a sobering look at the human effects of fighting on the players. [Silver Sevens]
- The Penguins held a press conference yesterday to discuss the status of captain Sidney Crosby. He is still suffering from lingering concussion symptoms and there is no timetable for when he will return to game action. He has been working out over the last few weeks, but has not yet been cleared for physical contact. This goes against reports this past weekend (which prompted this press call) that he had already been ruled out of training camp, pre-season, and the first few games of the regular season. [PensBurg]
- Remember last week I posted a link regarding hockey jerseys in soccer jersey form? Well, the user finally completed them yesterday. Which do you like and which do you hate? [Imgur]
- The Production Line is doing some in-depth looks at players invited (or not) to the Wings' prospect camp. I highly suggest giving them a read. [TPL - Ramis Sadikov - Wings Pass on 2 - Fabian Brunnstrom]
- Helene St. James has her next player preview up, this time for newcomer Mike Commodore. She does not beat around the bush when she says he must stay healthy and competitive if he wishes to extend his career beyond this season. [Detroit Free Press]
- Malik has some analysis of the Fabian Brunnstrom invite. Sounds like he is shocked Brunnstrom didn't go home to Sweden and that this invite will likely not have any effect on the roster situation unless Brunnstrom truly wows the team at training camp and even then it would only affect Cory Emmerton and possibly Jan Mursak. [The Malik Report]
For our discussion of the day, I want you to make a team name up. Bonus points for using a non-major city and a name that is not currently in use.