On Monday, we took a visit to the 1997 Cup team with Darren McCarty's spectacular goal. Tuesday showed us the skills of Pavel Datsyuk in his rookie year when the Red Wings won the Cup in 2002. Today's Video of the Day takes us once again to another Cup winning season, this time 1998. I mentioned McCarty's goal might be my favorite goal of all-time. Well, game 2 of the 1998 Stanley Cup Final might be my favorite game of all-time.
Today's video is a long one, but a good one. An absolutely thrilling comeback by the Wings. Leading the game early 1-0 lead, followed by a fluke goal to tie it and next thing they knew, it was 3-1 Captials. The Wings made a thrilling comeback in the last 13 minutes of the game to ultimately win 5-4 in overtime.
Things I love about this video:
- Good old Bob Rouse and Jamie Macoun paired on D.
- Remembering the hatred I had in that series for Craig Berube and Chris Simon.
- The old Grind Line.
- The Captain Stevie Yzerman beginning the comeback midway through the 3rd making it 3-2.
- Esa Tikkanen and his game changing (and possibly series changing) whiff on the wide open net.
- Doug Brown and his tying goal. Is there any player from that era that you loved to see succeed more that Dougie Brown? What a great role player that guy was.
- The recently retired Kris Draper with the game-winning OT goal and the smile/grin on Scotty Bowman's face (6:23 mark of the video). Anytime Scotty smiled, you knew it was a good moment.