- Ben Smith did not significantly change his head position, so the onus is on Brendan Smith to deliver a "full body check".
- Brendan Smith misses and recklessly targets his opponent's head.
- Targeting can be defined as either intentional or reckless (Shanahan previously defined this one as reckless).
- Shanahan believes Smith when he says he did not intentionally target the head.
- Ben Smith did change his position, but did not significantly change the position of his head. Shanahan clears this question up. Ben Smith did not meet the league's criteria for putting himself in a vulnerable position.
- A significant injury was the result of the play, which factored into the decision.