Hello friends in Hockeytown. Well I just got home from the home opener at the Joe on a frigid Michigan January night.
I just want to point out some of my observations, some of which may have already been discussed elsewhere:
- JIMMY HOWARD WAS FUCKING AWESOME TONIGHT! He is really starting to get into his groove (I guess since his watery defense is letting so many shots get near him) Jimmy is the only reason this game wasn't a total blowout. Although his GAA hovers at nearly 5, Jimmy is doing a great job in the net.
- SPECIAL TEAMS ARE GODDAMN FUCKING AWFUL! No use whipping this dead horse I know, but it needs to be addressed immediately. PP and PK are both ranked 25th out of 30 teams. 0-15 on the Powerplay so far this season is simply unacceptable and inexcusable.
- I'm really starting to have a lot of hockey love in my heart for JORDAN TOOTOO. The guy just does exactly what he was hired to do. He's fiery, fiesty and annoying as hell and I'm glad the Wings don't have to play against him anymore.
- Datsyuk seems like he would rather be in Russia right now playing in the Red Army sweater. He just doesn't seem to have the spark of joy in his eyes anymore and I'm really concerned about his future with the club when his contract is up.
- On a brighter note DAMIEN BRUNNER FUCKING RULES! We are extremely lucky to have this guy in a winged wheel sweater. He is young, dynamic incredibly talented player and he will have a great future with the club.
Considering the injuries, the new guys, the young kids and the lack of a proper training camp, I think that it will just take a little bit of time for the team to properly gel into a cohesive unit. I am certainly not in full blown panic mode yet but god forbid if we lose another defenseman I don't what will happen.
Until next time,