Ladies and gentleman, Daniel Alfredsson has arrived.
By blessing us with his first goal as a Red Wing, the Wings were able to coast to a win against the Blue Jackets with a final score of 2-1.
But the real reason why we won wasn't Alfie, or Datsyuk, or even Zetterberg. It was Jonas Gustavsson's marvelous play in net that helped the Wings secure the 2 points.
- Detroit took the lead early in the 1st period after Danny Alfredsson scored a beautiful goal. Datsyuk and Zetterberg with the assists.
- Holy Cam! As much as I hate the Blue Jackets and everything associated with them, the goal by Cam Atkinson was phenomenal. Going coast-to-coast is a feat in its own matter, but dodging the Red Wings defense and then putting the puck in the net is a whole other. While you can blame the Wings for poor defending, this was simply a good hockey play.
- I don't know if it was just me, but I was impressed by Jordin Tootoo. He recorded 1 shot and 5 hits! Maybe he does have a place on this team after all?
- Speaking of players who surprised, what a great performance by Jonas Gustavsson! He saved 36 out of 37 shots which included a diving save late in the 3rd period. While I still prefer good 'ole Jimmah, I wouldn't mind seeing Gustavsson receive some more playing time this year. Especially if he can put up more performances like this one.
- Shortly after Atkinson's goal the Wings would regain the lead after
DatsyukBertuzzi somehow makes the puck end up in the back of the net. All I could see on the replay was confusion. If you ask me we should just credit both Pavs and Bert with the goal.
- The rest of the games was a mixture of keeping the puck out of the net and putting pressure of Bobrovsky. The Wings certainly didn't take their foot of the pedal, but neither did the Blue Jackets. Despite some late scares, including the aforementioned save by Monster, the Wings would hold onto their lead and win their 5th game of the season.
Before I end this recap I have some good news to announce! Although many of you have probably heard about this by now, it seems that Darren Helm may in fact be making a comeback. I will still retain my position of cautious optimism before becoming too excited.
Next up for the Red Wings are the Avalanche in Colorado on Thursday.
Lets Go Red Wings & Tigers!
More from Winging It In Motown: