January 30th, 2007.
That was the last time that the Red Wings were able to beat the Islanders. It was a 4-3 OT win for the Wings after goals from Kronwall, Cleary, Holmström, and Zetterberg. While those names are very familiar, let me put it into perspective for you. Dominik Hasek was the Wings' goaltender for that game.
So in other words, the Red Wings haven't defeated the Islanders since the days of Hasek. Yuck!
This was one streak that we were all happy to put an end to. I don't know what it is with the Islanders, but besides today's game, they always seem to dominate the Wings.
After the 6-1 victory over the Bruins on Wednesday, it was easy to predict that the Wings would fall down and collapse and play one of their typical Islanders games. Instead, the Wings have won their last 2 games and outshot their opponents in those games 11-1. Good job boys!
To the bullets!
- Darren Helm is on fire!!! I don't know what to say about this guy that hasn't already been said. But i'll sum it up for you, he is simply amazing. A beautiful goal by Helmer gave the Wings the 1-0 lead early in the first period.
- The Wings "dominated" the first period. It wasn't so much that Detroit was playing great, rather, the Islanders kept committing so many mistakes and kept giving the Wings the puck.
- The 2nd period for the Wings was pretty dull and eventless until...
- HELM STRUCK AGAIN! In what will undoubtedly be a candidate for the weirdest-way-to-score-a-goal award, Darren Helm somehow gave the Wings the 2-0 lead. He jumped over Andrew MacDonald and Kevin Poulin to score. It's hard to explain exactly how he did it, because I have never seen anything like it before, so here's a video of it to help you experience the awesomeness.
- This was Daniel Alfredsson's 1200th career game. He decided to celebrate that by scoring after only 13 seconds in the third period!
- Brenden Smith got an assist on the Alfredsson goal. That was his second assist on the day (1st Helm goal). Maybe Smith is turning a corner?
- With one fan favorite scoring, the other, Mr. Gustav Nyquist, had to answer. A pass from Franzen later and Goose had found himself with his 4th goal in 5 games.
- With 8 minutes left in the third period, Nyquist was about to score again after Zetterberg drifted into the Islanders zone before trying to deke out Poulin. Poulin stopped Zetterberg but gave up a rebound to Nyquist. Nyquist shot the puck at the Islanders goaltender but somehow Poulin was able to stop it.
- Alfredsson got his second goal of the night and extended the Wings' lead to 5-0 with a little under 4 minutes left to go.
- I can't put into words how important this game was for Jimmy Howard. After all of the sub-par performances from this past month, there was no better way for Howard to comeback than in the way that he did. Not only a win, but a shutout to boost Jimmah's confidence. #JimmyForSochi
Let's Go Red Wings!