This will haunt the Kings' dreams tonight - Rick Osentoski-USA TODAY Sports
Jimmy Howard was the star as the Wings stole 2 points from the Kings
Sometimes there are games where you just shake your head and laugh because nothing goes right and there's nothing you can do about. Your team plays it's ass off and runs into a hot goalie, or a fluke goal against undoes all the hard work that they put in in the previous 55 minutes.
Then you have games like today, where everything that could have conspired against the Wings to give them a loss nearly did, but they get 2 points anyway. Strong play early, a performance-of-the-year by Jimmy Howard, and a little puck luck and the Wings are 2-0 on this little homestand after eking out a 3-2 victory over the Kings.
Make no mistake, this was totally Jimmy Howard's game. He just let everyone else play in it.
- Third game in four nights. Second game in less than 24 hours. Playing against a rested opponent who was coming in looking to turn around their season-long struggles after being shut out in their last outing. You want excuses? I got 'em. And yet here are the Wings, winners of 3 straight and suddenly playing with a little more of the swagger we're used to.
- Pavel Datsyuk was crushed by Drew Doughty on a semi-high hit (that was totally legal). Then minutes later he blows by the defense and goes top-shelf. Moral? Never Dought Datsyuk.
- I tried so hard to muster up hate for the Kings. Really. I mean, they're the defending champs, they're full of people that no one likes, they've got famous fans who weren't fans 2 years ago. This line of thinking worked with the Blackhawks, yet I still can't get a true hate on for the Kings. And you know what? I hate that I don't hate them.
- Do you know who has really stepped up in the last few weeks? Jakub Kindl. Maybe that last benching got his attention and finally unscrambled the shit in his brains, but I no longer fear him being on the ice against almost anyone. He's contributing to the power play and he was credited with 5 hits today. If he can turn it around the way Jonathan Ericsson has and Smith pans out, maybe the future of the Wings' defense isn't so bad after all.
- Speaking of Ericsson, can we officially retire Shitbox forever? I'm not even kidding when I say he's been the Wings' best defenseman this year, and I am starting to want him out on the ice in big situations over anyone else on the roster.
- The Red Wings were so tired of people not recognizing just how good Jimmy Howard has been this year that they allowed 47 shots for the sole purpose of bringing up his save percentage.
- Daniel Cleary and Ericsson combined for the winning goal. Yep. Not a misprint.
- Another day, another ridiculous refereering standard. I'd complain about it, but the Wings won, and Edzo saying that the Wings have historically cheated and gotten away with it was so fucking ridiculous because he's a color commentator on a national broadcast, and I know he's sad the Wings won because fuck that guy.
- Remember when we all thought that Petr Mrazek should have started one of the games this weekend? This is why Mike Babcock is the coach and we're all stupid fans who don't know shit.