After all the good that came from Friday's win against the Blues, the Red Wings seemed to undo all of it. Yes, it was the second night of a back-to-back, but man, losing to the Blue Jackets just flat out sucks. Things look liked they would turn out okay with an early Johan Franzen goal, but after that it was all down hill for Detroit.
- The worst thing to come from this game is the news that Brendan Smith is hurt. He was hit along the boards by Derek MacKenzie and hurt his shoulder in the 1st period. He did not return to the ice after his shift. Ken Holland says he'll be reevaluated Monday and is out 10-14 days. Huge loss for the Wings especially after all the big minutes he played against St. Louis.
- Jimmy Howard did not play well. It was only his second career regulation loss to the BJs. He's now 10-2-1 in his career against Columbus.
- A week or so ago, Mike Babcock called out Jakub Kindl and said he had to go out and grab his spot in the lineup. It was put up or shut up for the kid. If you ask me, I bet he's the evil mastermind behind all the Wings injuries on defense. He hired David Backes to try to hurt Kent Huskins. He planned Smith's injury. He placed the puck on the ice at practice for Jonathan Ericsson to step on. Kindl knows that he's not good enough so he's trying to stay in the lineup by any means necessary.
- Speaking of Ericsson, he's good. We used to make fun of him A LOT, but he's proving his value this season.
- 0 for 5 on the power play. Plus, the BJ's got a shorty. Great work.
- Pavel Datsyuk, Henrik Zetterberg and Franzen were a combined minus-5. And don't forget, Mule scored a goal.
- I should have started this recap out with a fight. Just like the Wings and Jordin Tootoo should have started this game out with a fight. It's a proven fact that Detroit wins every game in which Tootoo fights off the faceoff. A blown opportunity to do that again in Columbus.
- Damien Brunner has a nose for scoring late goals that don't matter in losses.
- At one point during the game, FSD showed a fullpage graphic of the scoring by Detroit's bottom six. It had a whole bunch of zeros on it. Only Patrick Eaves has 1 point so far. Justin Abdelkader, Drew Miller, Cory Emmerton, Daniel Cleary and Tootoo all have yet to do anything on the scoresheet. Tootoo has at least contributed in other ways. Cleary has done jack shit it seems like. Your depth guys have to chip in every once in while, especially on nights when your stars just don't have it. The bottom six might be Detroit's downfall at the end of the day. They really miss Darren Helm.
- Kyle Quincey is a bag of suck.