#SmithFacts - Rick Osentoski-US PRESSWIRE
12:30p ET, Joe Louis Arena
TV: NBC, NHL Network (Canada)
Radio: 97.1 The Ticket
Blackhawks Blogs: Second City Hockey
If you're not excited for this game than I don't know what to tell you. There really isn't a ton to say about today's matchup between the Red Wings and the Blackhawks. Chicago comes in blazing hot starting the season 18-0-3 and setting an NHL record with 21 consecutive games with at least a point. Our hats are off to you, Chicago. That's a mighty fine streak you've got there and you should be proud. And Hawks fans? I hope you're enjoying it. Really long NHL record setting streaks are pretty cool. Us Wings fans know all about them. We did that whole home win streak thing just last season. But enjoy it now well it lasts, because we can tell you first hand that this streak means absolutely freakin' nothing if your team doesn't win the Stanley Cup. Streaks are cool and fun, but it's the Cup that really makes it all worthwhile.
With all that said, I hope like hell it all ends today. It just seems fitting that it all comes crashing down against a disliked and, depending who you ask, hated rival. Nothing would make me happier than watching the Wings send Chicago home with a regulation loss. The Joe is going to be loud. The game is going to be tense. And I guaran-damn-tee that the Wings players will have a little extra jump in their step. Both fan bases should enjoy today's game. Thanks to realignment we won't get too many intense games between these two clubs anymore.
Today is going to be a damn good one.
The Expected Lineup
Jimmy Howard (starting)
|BLACKHAWKS||THE MATCH-UP||RED WINGS|
|18-0-3 (39 pts; 1st in NHL)||Record||10-8-3 (23 pts; 6th in West)|
|3.14 (4th in NHL)||Goals Per Game||2.76 (15th in NHL)|
|1.76 (1st)||Goals Against Per Game||2.71 (T-15th)|
|17.5% (13th)||Power Play %||15.6% (21st)|
|89.5% (2nd)||Penalty Kill %||77.4% (26th)|
|Patrick Kane (10 goals)||Goal Leader||Damien Brunner (10 goals)|
|Patrick Kane (25 points)||Points Leader||Henrik Zetterberg (25 points)|
- The Red Wings are 363-264-84-11 (W-L-T-OTL) all-time against the Chicago Blackhawks.
- Chicago has won eight straight games. Seven of those eight games were on home ice. The Hawks have not traveled much at all recently.
- The last time these two teams met was January 27. Chicago won 2-1 in overtime. Franzen scored the Wings lone goal. Nick Leddy had the game winner in the extra period.
- Detroit is 4-4-2 in their last 10 games. Chicago is 9-0-1.
- Howard is 4-6-3 with a 2.80 GAA and .905 SV% in 14 career starts against the Blackhawks. Not really inspiring numbers from today's starting netminder. Meanwhile, Ray Emery is 3-0-0 in his career against the Wings and Corey Crawford is 8-2-2. Yup.