12:30p ET, Joe Louis Arena
TV: NBC, NHL Network (Canada)
Radio: 97.1 The Ticket
Blues Blog: St. Louis Game Time
Remember way back a few months ago when the St. Louis Blues completely annihilated the Red Wings 6-0 in the season opener? Crazy to think where these teams started and where they are now. The Blues were supposed to be a threat to the Central Division, instead they're battling the Wings for the final playoff spots in the Western Conference. This game will go a long way to determine both a playoff berth and the 7th and/or 8th seeds. St. Louis currently sits only one points behind the Wings and they have two games in hand. If Detroit doesn't get the win today, it very well could seal their fate as 8th seed or bust. The teams ahead of them in the standings don't seem to be losing so it will be hard to make up much ground unless Detroit goes on a 4-5 game winning streak.
The lineup will look similar today up front. Riley Sheahan was called up from Grand Rapids incase Henrik Zetterberg can't go because of his groin injury. Damien Brunner is also likely to be out again with his hip flexor issues. Hopefully both Hank and Brunner can give it a go AND Sheahan can play too. I wouldn't mind having his size on the 4th line. As far as the blueline goes, who the hell knows? Babcock reportedly liked Danny DeKeyser's game on Friday. Have to imagine Brendan Smith will get back in the lineup. What I can tell you is that the top pair will remain the same and Jimmy Howard (thank goodness) will be between the pipes.
The Expected Lineup
Brendan Smith - Kyle Quincey
Danny DeKeyser - Carlo Colaiacovo
Jimmy Howard (starting)
|BLUES||THE MATCH-UP||RED WINGS|
|20-14-2 (42 pts; 8th in West)||Record||19-14-5 (43 pts; 7th in West)|
|2.83 (9th in NHL)||Goals Per Game||2.55 (21st in NHL)|
|2.69 (18th)||Goals Against Per Game||2.58 (14th)|
|22.1% (7th)||Power Play %||18.5% (14th)|
|83.5% (8th)||Penalty Kill %||79.7% (22nd)|
|Chris Stewart (14 goals)||Goal Leader||Pavel Datsyuk (13 goals)|
|Chris Stewart (30 points)||Points Leader||Pavel Datsyuk (38 points|
- The Red Wings are 118-109-37-8 (W-L-T-OTL) all-time against the St. Louis Blues.
- St. Louis has won three games-in-a-row and is undefeated in April.
- The Wings are 3-2-3 on Sundays this season.
- The last time these two teams met was February 13. The Wings blew a 2-0 lead en route to a 4-3 overtime loss. Tomas Tatar, Miller and Datsyuk scored for Detroit.
- Detroit is 6-4-0 in their last 10 games. St. Louis is 6-4-0.
- Howard is 11-5-2 with a 2.62 GAA and .913 SV% with one career shutout in 18 career regular starts against the Blues.