While my post-elimination depression is starting to subside thanks to all the great moral support from the fine folks here at WiiM, I am left with some final thoughts about my beloved Red Wings.
- Way back in January I went to the home opener in Detroit when the Wings played the Dallas Stars and was underwhelmed by the team's overall effort and I really did not have high hopes for this team to go deep into the playoffs, if they were going to make it at all. I am extremely proud to see that this team showed tremendous character and grit and made it further in 2013 into the playoffs then they did last year and with a much less experienced team. Who would have thought that the 2013 Red Wings would surpass the 2012 team in the postseason?
- I am also glad that Mike Babcock refused to bow to the fans and all the hockey talking head blow-hards and kept Abdelkader on the top line. I was definitely one of the doubters and I am glad that I was proven wrong. I would argue that Abby was one the most improved players of the veterans on the team and I hope that his role expands more as the 2013-14 seasons gets underway.
- NYQUIST. What more do I need to say? The dude BRINGS IT every single shift and I hope that he has cemented his place as a regular on the roster, hopefully in the top 6. I loved seeing him on the line with Z in game 7 and his pass to Z could not have been any more perfect.
- While we will probably not see another season with Dan Cleary (thanks for a great career Dan!) and (probably Filpula as well as a few others, talking to YOU Mr. White) we are going to have to think about the needs of this team. In my humble opinion, we have plenty of speedy, skillful, albeit small forwards. What this team needs is some BEEF to level the likes of Bickell and Shaw with the mighty fucking hammer of Thor. Any suggestions for who we could get that is a big, scoring forward (the next Bertuzzi?) that is reasonably affordable? I don't that Tootoo is going to fill that role long term and apparently neither does Mike Babcock.
- I hope that more of the Griffins get a chance in the big league next season. It was extremely exciting to see the homegrown talent gain in experience this year and I know the Grifs are chock full of more super talented young players. I wish them the best of success in their own playoff run this season!
- One thing for sure that stands out: the Red Wings are a very classy organization from the top down. I could never root for a team with a bunch of whiny spoiled douche bags like the Ducks. Captain Z perfectly filled the role he was assigned and we couldn't ask for a better man to succeed the line of Red Wings royalty. May he have many more years of success!
- Jimmy Howard: Love the man.
- All in all, it was great and highly emotional run. Thanks to all of the writers and contributors at WiiM for making this season even more entertaining. LOVE LOVE LOVE THE KANE trolling with his Mom cutouts!