They did it!
The Griffins advanced to the Calder Cup Finals for the first time in franchise history after beating the Oklahoma City Barons in an exciting game 7. They now take on the Syracuse Crunch (Tampa Bay Lightning Affiliate) in the final round and try to bring the Calder Cup to Grand Rapids. The Crunch have won 12 of their 13 playoff games this season, sweeping both the Portland Pirates (Phoenix affiliate) in the first round and the Springfield Falcons (Columbus affiliate) in the second round; and only lost game 1 to the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins (Pittsburgh affiliate) before winning the next 4 games. The Crunch have been awaiting their final opponent since June 1st. It's sure to be an exciting round.
Game 1- Saturday, June 8th in Syracuse
Game 2- Sunday, June 9th in Syracuse
Game 3- Wednesday, June 12th in Grand Rapids
Game 4- Friday, June 14th in Grand Rapids
Game 5- Saturday, June 15th in Grand Rapids (if necessary)
Game 6 - Tuesday, June 18 in Syracuse (if necessary)
Game 7- Thursday, June 20 in Syracuse (if necessary)
I'll be attending game 4 in Grand Rapids next Friday and invite everyone to join me.
In addition to the reasons listed in my first meetup post (listed again for reference) it's also the opportunity to be a part of the Griffins playing in their franchise first, Cup finals.
- See Wings prospects in action and get Prospect Boners... They're much more intense when you watch live.
- $2 beers and $2 hotdogs
- Cheap tickets. Even glass seats are only $35
- The Griffins have a great team and they're a thrill to watch
- The Griffins organization does a fantastic job of making the whole game experience fun and entertaining
- Mrazek, Jurco, Tatar, Pulkkinen, Ferraro, Callahan, Billins, Lahsoff, Sheahan, Mursak.. I could go on and on.
- Be a part of the Griffins making history with their first ever Calder Cup finals appearance.
- Danny DeKeyser is traveling with the team to Syracuse. He hasn't been medically cleared to play yet, but they're hoping he will be by next week.
Tickets are going faster than they did in previous rounds, but I'm planning to sit in section 109 again. There aren't many glass seats left, so we'll probably be a few rows up.
I'll update the post as soon as I have my ticket. Who else is interested in going to the game?
Would anyone be interested in meeting up for dinner at Buffalo Wild Wings before the game? There's a group of fans already planning to meet for dinner at 5, and then be at the arena in time for warmups. We'd like a head count so we can make sure we get enough table space. Anyone interested? Just let me know so I can give a head count.
So, who's in?
[update: I'll be on the glass in section 109]