The Detroit Red Wings came into the Big Apple tonight with one thing in mind. Can you guess what?
Well, if you guessed groins, I guess you are right.. But really what they wanted was a win. Our injury-plagued Red Wings entered the tilt with a cool 20-16-10 record. Even though we have a worse record than New York (they are a .500 team), we sit one point behind them in the standings. Eastern Conference hockey is something, man. Anyways, this game is the last of a 5 game road trip. The Wings have not played at the Joe Louis Arena since last year.
- Jimmy Howard got the start after suffering a minor hip flexor issue. Didn't seem to phase Jimmers as he was sharp from the get-go.
- Joakim Andersson was a late scratch and is listed as "day to day" with a lower body inj- oh for fuck's sake.
- Cory Emmerton was called up like, 3 hours before puck drop.
- The first period was a goaltending display between two Olympic net-minders. Even though it was scoreless, and Detroit went 0 for 2 on the PP, I like what Detroit was able to do. Shots at the end of the period were 18-15 in favor of the Blue Shirts.
- Does anyone think Carl Hagelin looks like one of the villains from Die Hard
- The New York Rangers had 10 shots in the first 10 minute of the 2nd. According to my analysis that is one shot per minute.
- Did you see Jimmy Howard stone Hagelin in the 2nd period? Because I did... But seriously did you see that save? * taps mic *
- Henrik Lundqvist robbed Luke Glendening when he got a gorgeous chance off a turnover. I guess Lunqvist is good at this whole hockey thing. Either way, I like what I see from Luke when he's called up to the big club. He works hard, and plays harder.
- Through 2 periods the game remains 0-0 with Detroit being outshot 36-25. This game remains to be a battle of two goaltenders who started their seasons rough and are starting to heat up. Justin Abdelkader led Detroit with 5 SOG, which I think is quite impressive for a player like him. Quick take on Emmerton; I like his offensive game more than I do Andersson's.. But Joker is about 10000 times more dependable in his own zone than Cemmer.
- Apparently Daniel Carcillo plays for the New York Rangers? Not sure why any of you didn't tell me.
- The first goal of the game came to the favor of Mats Zuca-wacka-whatever off a weird bounce off of Brian Lashoff's stick. That goal would be enough to put the Wings away for the loss.
This sucks. Jimmy Howard deserved to win. He played his nuts off in this game the team in front of him couldn't do their job. Detroit closes out their road trip with back-to-back shootout losses and are now 3 points out of the playoff picture. Here's to hoping that Pavel Datsyuk, Tomas Tatar, and Darren Helm(including his box of band-aids) can come along and help pull us out of this... Abyss.. Or something. I don't know.
Tweets of the Night:
about to make coffee— coffee dad (@coffee_dad) January 17, 2014
i have never heard of any of these players.— reptilian humanoid (@BabcocksFlyHair) January 17, 2014
McDonagh Donagh Donagh Donagh Donagh Donagh Donagh Donagh BAT MAAAAAAAAAN— josh (@Whoabot) January 17, 2014