What do we have here? Two broken teams who are struggling to keep their heads above water in their respective conferences. Two teams who at one time were dominant, now made civilian in the absence of key players, and for one team.. Even their coach. Before Coach Tortorella tried fighting Jiri Hudler and the Calgary Flames, Vancouver was still facing a slump, just not as bad. This is a team who has won just 1 of their last 5 tilts. Detroit having won only 2 of their last 5.
It's Olympic sendoff night, in which we are getting a pretty nice preview of what Team Sweden will look like.. Earlier today we got wonderful news that our very own Swedish scoring sensation Gustav Nyquist will be replacing Johan Franzen while he nurses a concussion for Team Sweden in Sochi. You go, Goose. Get hungry, fella. Best of luck to all of our Olympians over in Russia. Bring us all the medals!
- It was nice to see Pavel Datsyuk for the Olympic sendoff ceremony... In full pads...? What
- Drew Miller got a shorthanded breakaway chance.. Spoiler alert: It definitely wasn't Miller Time.. Anyways, the first period ended even with both teams at 0-0, Vancouver with the slight edge in shots, 8-7. Pretty uneventful snoozer of a first period. In other news, I just found a Cheetoh in my couch. Should I eat it
- Thankfully, John Tortorella did not take a stroll over to the Detroit locker room during intermission.
- Jimmy Howard unexpectedly skated out and jumped in the crease to start the 2nd period. Gustavsson was experiencing dizziness.
- Justin Abdelkader opened up the scoring with a howitzer from the point. Puck smacked the bar and went down. That's Abby's second goal in 2 games. Assists came from Henrik Zetterberg and Gustav Nyquist.
- Jakub Kindl is awful. He drew a penalty shot on a breakaway from Booth. Thankfully Jimmy Howard stoned Booth on the chance. Completely unacceptable play by Kindl. I miss Brendan Smith.
- At 11:58 the Nucks took two penalties.. Detroit heading the the 5 on 3 PP. Red Wings couldn't capitalize. Nyquist creating multiple chances. He continues his excellence.
- The 2nd period closed out with Detroit leading 1-0 even though Vancouver lead in shots, 21-19 and as well as blocked shots, 6-3. I would provide a statistic that shows Detroit's record when going into the 3rd period with the lead to you guys but I'll spare you the indigestion and upset stomach.
- Tomas Tatar, Tomas Jurco and Riley Sheahan are such a great thing to watch. It's like poetry. This line is going to be completely dominant in about 1-2 years.
- Eddie Lack kept his team in this game by making insane saves in the closing moments of the 3rd period. But alas, it was not enough. Abdelkader netted his second of the night into an empty net to put kibosh on the Vancover Canucks. Detroit sweeps the season series between the Nucks. RED WINGS WIN!
What can I say? The PK won this game, in my opinion. As far as players go, this game was all about the youngsters. Sheahan, Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco all made a serious impact on this game. It was clear that they were too fast for the Canucks to handle and with that, Detroit came out on top with a HUGE regulation win. Jimmy Howard did a great job filling in for Gustavsson stopping all 17 shots and bringing in a combined shutout. Huge win for the boys in red tonight.. Keep it rolling, fellas. Let's finish strong before the Olympic break.
Good-ass tweets from tonight:
Jakub Kindl: "I liked the locker room. The food was really good." Babcock: "I bet you liked the locker room. Wanna go back?"
Jakub Kindl: "I liked the locker room. The food was really good." Babcock: "I bet you liked the locker room. Wanna go back?"— George Malik (@georgemalik) February 4, 2014
the irony of jakub kindl is that a kindle is a book thing and kindl cant read
the irony of jakub kindl is that a kindle is a book thing and kindl cant read— very famous rockstar (@BabcocksFlyHair) February 4, 2014