Today's number is 8. Quite a few awesome things related to the number 8 in Red Wings history.
- The Red Wings have two Stanley Cups coming in years ending with "8": 1998 and 2008.
- The number of Stanley Cups the two New York teams have won, 4 each.
- Igor Larionov "The Professor" wore number 8 for a long time in Detroit. Currently wearing the number is Justin Abdelkader.
- Starting with The Professor: Igor Larionov played 539 regular season games for the Red Wings and 929 total in the NHL and was part of the famous "Russian Five" in Detroit.. Known primarily as an assist man, Larionov only surpassed 20 goals twice in his NHL career. During his time in Detroit, Larionov scored 89 goals, but added 308 assists. Larionov won three Stanley Cups with the Red Wings. He won a pair of gold medals at the Olympics and four gold medals at the World Championships. Larionov was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 2008. Larionov scored this triple overtime goal for the Red Wings to win Game 3 of the Stanley Cup Finals against the Carolina Hurricanes.
- Now to Abdelkader: Abdelkader has scored a total of 8 career goals, five of those coming this season. 11 of his 14 career assists have come in this season as well. Up until this season, Abdelkader had as many playoff goals as he did regular season goals (3). Abdelkader scored a goal in two consecutive games against the Penguins in the 2009 Stanley Cup Finals. However, this goal takes the cake as my favorite Abby goal. Abdelkader has attempted to take on the fighter role when necessary, but he's got a long way to go before he's feared for that. Abdelkader is perhaps best known for his game-winning goal against Boston College in 2007 that secured the NCAA title for Michigan State.
- Larionov's name has 8 characters, he also played 8 seasons in Detroit and 8 for CSKA Moscow.
- Steve Yzerman is 8th in the NHL in goals scored with 692. Gordie Howe is 8th all-time in assists with 1,049--that's a mere 996 more than Brett Lebda.
- Eighth all-time for the Red Wings in points? Pavel Datsyuk with 649 points. Pavel also is eighth in all-time GWG with 32.
- Manny Legace ranks 8th all-time in goaltender wins for the Red Wings with 112. Chris Osgood ranks 8th all-time (in players with 20+ GP) in save percentage with .905%.
- Eight is of course the number of arms on an octopus, the best of all cephalopods.
- Trivia question: Which players are tied for 8th all-time in games played for the Red Wings with 908?
Trivia answer: Sergei Fedorov and Kirk Maltby.
- 8 is the atomic number of Oxygen, atomic symbol "O".
- Hanukkah lasts 8 days.
- 8 Mile road.
- The 8 ball is the iconic ball in pool.
- 8 maids a-milking...
- The basic crayon pack has 8 colors: brown, red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, black.
- A "Figure 8" is a popular ice skating term. It is also an Elliott Smith album.
- The number of sides for a UFC cage.
- SPIDERS GOTS EIGHT LEGS