It's finally arrived.
Free agency is here. After the Jonathan Ericsson signing last night and Patrick Eaves re-signing this morning (3 years, $1.2M per year), the Red Wings have just a shade over $11.7 million left in cap space (thanks CapGeek!). There are still a few needs to fill on the roster. The team needs a back-up goalie, possibly an additional forward and at least one more defenseman. Some of those holes could be filled from within (see: Brendan Smith) or by re-signing their own UFAs.
Brad Richards is the biggest name out there (and really the only true, big free agent). Keep an eye on secondary players like Tomas Fleischmann, Ed Jovanovski, Ian White, Simon Gagne, Radim Vrbata, Tomas Kaberle, Erik Cole, Cam Barker, and Sheldon Souray. I wouldn't be shocked to see the Wings try to sign any of those names.
In Kenny We Trust.
- James Wisniewski signs with Columbus for 6 years, $33 million
- Sami Salo re-signs with Vancouver for 1 year, $2 million
- Patrick Eaves re-signs with Detroit for 3 years, $3.6 million
- Josh Harding re-signs with Minnesota for 1 year
- Chris Higgins re-signs with Vancouver for 2 years, $1.9 million
- Drew Miller re-signs with Detroit for 2 years, $1.65 million
- Tyler Kennedy re-signs with Pittsburgh for 2 years, $4 million
- Matheiu Garon signs with Tampa Bay for 2 years, $1.3 million
- Andy Greene re-signs with New Jersey for 4 years
- Jamal Mayers signs with Chicago for 1 year, $550k
- Ben Eager signs with Edmonton for 3 years, $3.3 million