- People every where are still waiting to hear what the Winter Classic will be this year. There is a game scheduled on January 2nd for 1PM between the Flyers and Rangers, but it has not officially been announced as being played outdoors. As with many fans, I do hope this gets announced before the season so we can stop fretting about it. [Puck Daddy]
- Vezina and Conn Smythe winner Tim Thomas had his day with the Cup yesterday. He had it here in his home of Michigan, showing it off at his alma mater, Davison High School. Sounds like he got one hell of a homecoming, too. [Detroit Free Press]
- Just a reminder: the Stanley Cup will be on display in Ann Arbor today from from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. in the Michigan locker room at Yost Ice Arena and in Jackson from 7 p.m - 9 p.m. in front of Daryl’s Downtown.
- Former Red Wing Brad May was named assistant coach of the Mississauga St. Mike's Majors of the Ontario Hockey League. [SportsNet]
- A recent lawsuit by the NFLPA, accusing the NFL of knowingly encouraging concussion-causing head hits, could impact the NHL. If the NFL is found guilty, it is quite possible the NHLPA may sue the NHL, if only as a bargaining point for the upcoming CBA negotiations. Regardless, I stand with the players here; if your employer is knowingly encouraging you to be badly injured, they should be punished. [Red Light of Sports Illustrated]
- The Penguins issued a statement saying that Sidney Crosby has seen concussion specialists around the country and they have all come to the conclusion that he will fully recover, it's just a matter of time. His agent has also reiterated that Crosby will not play until he is 100% symptom free. That statement is good for both Crosby and the league; we don't want another Eric Lindros situation.
- This one is interesting: Ian Laperriere, Matt Carle, James van Riemsdyk, and Scottie Upshall will all be in Judd Apatow's next film This Is Forty, a spin-off from Knocked Up. The hockey movie of your dreams, however? That's on its way. Kevin Smith's two-part, career finale will be Hit Somebody which was co-written by Detroit writer Mitch Albom. [CBS Sports]
- DBD has an interesting article up regarding the "Ice Girls" (aka cheerleaders) that the Dallas Stars employ and whether or not they have a place in today's game. [Defending Big D]
- Officials in Glendale, AZ are apparently optimistic about the team being sold to Greg Jamison, part owner and former CEO of the San Jose Shark. Let me check my tally book here... yep, that is the 6th time they have said this. If the Coyotes are sold and kept in Arizona, I will post a flattering picture of Shane Doan in Quick Hits the next morning without a single quip about it. I may even say something nice about him. I am already crying blood from thinking about that prospect. [AZ Central]
Discussion of the Day: Put together a comedy cast for a raunchy comedy comprised entirely of funny hockey players and actors close to hockey (Keifer Sutherland screaming "GET IN THE VAN!" is always hysterical). Bonus points for a plot and title.