- The latest on Jan Mursak is 2 months according to the Free Press. Unfotunate for both Mursak and the Wings. I was looking forward to Babs throwing him, Pavel Datsyuk, and Darren Helm out there just to see if anyone in the league could match the speed of that line. [Detroit Free Press]
- The Blackhawks were beaten by "scum" yesterday, apparently. [Second City Hockey]
- The good news, according to Ansar Khan, is that he will not need surgery. [MLive]
- In case you missed it, Todd Bertuzzi's shootout goal yesterday was spectacular enough that some writers are already whispering "goal of the year." [WIIM Fanshot]
- Good news, everyone. The Wings are "still Cup contenders" despite losing Jan Mursak. That was seriously NHL.com's headline. I'm not sure if I should take this as a compliment or not. [NHL.com]
Jets fans are thinking former Wing Derek Meech could be this year's surprise signing. From one SBN writer to another, Rob: don't get your hopes up, for Derek Meech will Matt Cooke you in the back of the head into the boards and let Chris Pronger step on your wrist while you lay in agony on the ice as soon as you start having high hopes for him. [Arctic Ice Hockey]
Scott Hartnell was sidelined indefinitely after the Flyers played the Wings on Friday. A heart issue of some kind flared up during our game. He is seeing a cardiologist later today, so expect more news soon. [Broad Street Hockey]
- Sabres winger Brad Boyes received a two game ban yesterday for his hit to the head of Maple Leafs defenseman Joe Colborne. [Puck Daddy]
- James Wisniewski of the Blue Jackets and Brad Staubitz were both suspended indefinitely while their teams were still playing. They delivered hits to the head and an illegal hit from behind, respectively. Their full suspension will be handed out today pending a hearing. Anyone else glad we don't pay market price for players? [Puck Daddy]
- Sidney Crosby participated in a 'controlled' scrimmage yesterday. This good news for both the NHL and for Dave's A Killer in the Filppula League who took him with the first pick of the second round last night. Damn you, Dave. I was hoping to draft in the 5th. [TSN]
- You know how I know the season has started? I can do the rounds of SBN and see more game threads and recaps than articles regarding players from the 30's with poop-related names. I am happy to report the blog nation is getting back into the swing of things, WIIM.
- The "anti-Cooke Crusade" has begun again after the 'changed' Penguins winger boarded a player this weekend. However minor the hit was, Matt Cooke is in a heap of crap now with Shanahan on the prowl and fans expecting him to behave. [Pensburgh]
- A Jewels From The Crown reader has yet another suggestion for the Drew Doughty contract talks: 19 years, $133 million. Shoot me. [Jewels from the Crown]
- Good news for the league, bad news for the Central Division: David Perron, previously thought to possibly be out for season with a concussion, will return to the Blues today and hopefully play soon. [St. Louis Game Time]
- My fantasy team has already taken a hit as Marc Staal has been ruled out of playing the season openers in Europe. [Blueshirt Banter]
Discussion of the Day: Let's do another video daily double today. First, with Jan Mursak now out for two months, what do the 13th and 14th forward spots look like and what happens when Mursak returns from injury? Second, what does your WIIM fantasy team look like?