1:00p ET, TD Garden
TV: Fox Sports Detroit, NESN
Radio: 97.1 The Ticket
Bruins Blog: Stanley Cup of Chowder
Screw you, Boston.
The Expected Lineup
|Henrik Zetterberg||Pavel Datsyuk||Todd Bertuzzi|
|Johan Franzen||Stephen Weiss||Justin Abdelkader|
|Daniel Cleary||Joakim Andersson||Daniel Alfredsson|
|Drew Miller||Luke Glendening||Jordin Tootoo|
|Niklas Kronwall||Jonathan Ericsson|
|Kyle Quincey||Danny DeKeyser|
|Jakub Kindl||Brian Lashoff|
|Jimmy Howard (starting)|
Scratches: Brendan Smith, Mikael Samuelsson & Tomas Tatar
LTIR: Darren Helm (body), Patrick Eaves (knee and ankle)
|RED WINGS||THE MATCH-UP||BRUINS|
|3-2-0 (6 pts; 4th in Atlantic)||Record||3-1-0 (6 pts; 2nd in Atlantic)|
|2.60 (17th in NHL)||Goals Per Game||2.50 (18th in NHL)|
|2.60 (13th)||Goals Against Per Game||1.25 (2nd)|
|17.6% (21st)||Power Play %||14.3% (24th)|
|85.0% (8th)||Penalty Kill %||86.7% (6th)|
|Henrik Zetterberg (4 goals)||Goal Leader||2 tied with 2 goals|
|Henrik Zetterberg (6 points)||Points Leader||Milan Lucic (4 points)|
Player to Fear: I nailed these next two categories last time with Tuukka Rask and Torey Krug. We should still fear Rask (and the Claude Julien defensive system), but for the sake of change let's just go with Patrice Bergeron. He's good at everything. Is he going to light it up offensively against Datsyuk and Zetterberg? Not likely. But he's sure as hell going to defend the crap out of them.
X-Factor: Let's go with Jarome Iginla for today's game. I feel like he's going to finally score for the Bruins and I feel like it's going to come on the power play. He's got an assist through the first four games of the Bruins season and he's a plus-2. He's done well against the Red Wings in the past. He's due.
Familiar Faces: Still no one.
Thumbs up (One Thing to Like About Boston): Uhhh… I live here.
Thumbs down (One Thing to Dislike About Boston): The Red Sox.
Bullets of Knowledge
- The Red Wings are 249-235-95-1 all-time against the Bruins.
- Detroit is 1-1-0 on October 14 since the 2003-04 season. They last played on this date in 2010 and lost to the Stars 4-1. Brad Richards, Loui Eriksson, Brenden Morrow and James Neal all scored for Dallas. The moral of the story? Score on the Red Wings today and you will not be playing in Boston within the next three years.
- This is the first Monday game of the season. Last year the Wings were 4-0-0 on Mondays.
- If you include the end of last year's regular season, the playoff run, and this year's regular season, the Red Wings have a 7-0-3 record the day after the 2013 Detroit Tigers lose a game.
- I'll be sitting in Loge 3, Row 11, Seat 3 (behind-ish the Red Wings' bench) today at the game. If you're attending, buy me a beer. I could sure as hell use it after that game and work last night.
- Howard is 3-1-0 all-time against Boston with a 2.21 GAA and .931 SV%.
Prediction: I'll say the Red Wings win 3-2 and Weiss is the player of the game. What will likely happen, though, is the Wings will blow a lead late in the 3rd period thanks to
their bullpen a poor decision by Jim Leyland Brendan Smith Bertuzzi spinning and throwing a blind pass up the middle and the Bruins win in a walk-off overtime.
NOTE: The WiiM prediction contest is back. Two of our WiiM faithful are undertaking the task of keeping track of all the predictions and you can click on the link above to read all the details. How will it work? Just leave your predictions in the comments of the morning skates before the game starts. Tell us what you think the final score will be, which team you think will win, and who you think the POTG (Player of the game) will be. For example: 4-2 Red Wings, Henrik Zetterberg POTG.