24/7, Original Six, Maple Laffs, Dead Things, 1967, playoff streak, anti-Corsi darlings, Bozak, Clarkson, Samuelsson, Cleary. There, I think I hit on everything I'm contractually obligated to mention, so now we can move on to more relevant things like . . . oh yeah, there's a game tonight!
- Jonas Gustavsson will get the start in goal. The Monster should be looking to feast on some Buds tonight.
- REJOICE! The Red Wings begin their ascent back to full health with the return of Danny DeKeyser. He takes the place of Jakub Kindl in the lineup and will be paired with Kyle Quincey.
Red Wings' Updated Projected Lineup:
|Pavel Datsyuk||Daniel Alfredsson|
|Joakim Andersson||Tomas Tatar|
|Luke Glendening||Patrick Eaves|
|Riley Sheahan||Jordin Tootoo|
- We might not be seeing Stephen Weiss for a while, unfortunately: the injured center recently learned the extent of his injury, a sports hernia. The team is apparently trying to decide whether to have surgery now or later, but if he has to have the surgery anyway, why wait?
- Gustav Nyquist and Justin Abdelkader have been placed on IR. "You put a Red Wing in, you take a Red Wing out, you put a Red Wing in and . . ." Wait, don't shake him all about, or else you'll end up hurting him even more!
- Jimmy Howard aims to play in the Winter Classic. If nothing else, he does have some sweet Winter Classic pads.
- Darren Helm was on a line at practice yesterday with Riley Sheahan and Daniel Alfredsson. As you saw in the projected and updated lineup above, Helm's not playing tonight but is shooting for Monday against the Islanders so he can do more stuff like this (without the possibly getting hurt part).
- Zetterberg is skating, but the target date for his return remains Dec. 28 against the Florida Panthers.
- No updates on Franzen, other than that he did not accompany the team to Toronto.
On the "often injured but even though he's healthy now and we have 7 players out with injury he still can't get into the lineup" front:
- Mikael Samuelsson did some power play practice this morning and gave us all a scare, but you can all relax because he was just holding Daniel Alfredsson's spot.
- Having lost 5 of 6 going into Thursday's game against Phoenix, the Maple Leafs squeaked out two points in a shootout victory off a stellar goaltending performance from James Reimer. Reimer will get his third straight start tonight.
Maple Leafs' Projected Lineup:
|Nazem "Detroit's 43 is so much better than me in looks and hockey ability" Kadri||Phil "the face of America" Kessel|
|Peter "I play as well as the average hockey player from" Holland||Joffrey "Why did my parents name me this" Lupul|
|Jay "Where's my Selke Trophy!?!?!" McClement||Nikolai "I've been in Toronto way too long" Kulemin|
|Trevor "I'm in the NHL?" Smith||Troy "I learned how to goon in Anaheim, so I'm a perfect fit for Toronto" Bodie|
Just remember guys, no matter how rough Wings fans have it right now, it could always be worse:
FUN FACT: The last time the Toronto Maple Leafs were in the Stanley Cup Finals, the NHL only had 6 teams.— Happy Gilmore (@_Happy_Gilmore) December 21, 2013
[Editor Note: This post was mostly completed before it's original author was sacked. The post you just read was completed by another author. Should you have any issues with this, please speak up now so we know who to sack next. Thank you.]