8:00p ET, Honda Center
TV: Fox Sports Detroit
Radio: 97.1 The Ticket
Friday was awesome. It doesn't get much better than watching the Red Wings kick the crap out of the Ducks both literally and figuratively. Justin Abdelkader notched his first career hat trick. That's like a #16 seed upsetting a #1 in the NCAA tournament. It's THAT rare of a feat. March Madness has bled over to the hockey world. Let us not forget Brendan Smith kicked the crap out of Bobby Ryan. Jonathan Ericsson risked damaging his face against Ryan Getzlaf and Brian Lashoff DDT'd Kyle Palmieri after roughing up Teemu Selanne. It's was quite the eventful 5-1 victory.
Tonight, though, will most likely be nothing like Friday. The Ducks are playing too well this season to get blow out in back-to-back games. They're going to show up tonight and it's going to be a much closer and competitive game. The lineup shouldn't change much. A few guys in the bottom six and the 2nd line winger could be shuffled around. Carlo Colaiacovo has been activated off IR, but Mike Babcock said he won't be playing tonight. He has to earn his way back into the lineup. I hope he takes good notes in the Leino Lounge. I'm sure he'll be replacing Ian White on the ice very soon.
The Expected Lineup
Johan Franzen - Pavel Datsyuk - Justin Abdelkader
Valtteri Filppula - Henrik Zetterberg - Drew Miller
Damien Brunner -- Joakim Andersson -- Daniel Cleary
Gustav Nyquist - Cory Emmerton - Jordin Tootoo
Niklas Kronwall - Jonathan Ericsson
Brendan Smith - Ian White
Brian Lashoff - Jakub Kindl
Jimmy Howard (starting)
Scratches: Carlo Colaiacovo, Patrick Eaves and Kent Huskins
Injuries: Kyle Quincey (cheek), Mikael Samuelsson (finger), Todd Bertuzzi (back) and Darren Helm (back)
|RED WINGS||THE MATCH-UP||DUCKS|
|15-11-5 (35 pts; 7th in West)||Record||22-4-4 (48 pts; 2nd in West)|
|2.68 (14th in NHL)||Goals Per Game||3.17 (4th in NHL)|
|2.52 (9th)||Goals Against Per Game||2.43 (8th)|
|16.5% (21st)||Power Play %||23.5% (3rd)|
|79.5% (22nd)||Penalty Kill %||77.4% (27th)|
|2 tied with 10 goals||Goal Leader||Ryan Getzlaf (11 goals)|
|Pavel Datsyuk (33 points)||Points Leader||Ryan Getzlaf (35 points)|
- The Red Wings are 47-18-7-2 (W-L-T-OTL) all-time against the Anaheim Ducks.
- Anaheim is 9-1-1 against the Central Division this season. The lone regulation loss came against the Wings.
- The Wings are 2-1-3 on Sundays this season. The last two Sunday games were both shootout losses.
- Detroit is 3-2-0 against California teams this season.
- The last time these two teams met was Friday. The Wings won 5-1. Abdelkader had a hat trick. Datsyuk and Franzen scored Detroit's other two goals.
- Detroit is 5-3-2 in their last 10 games. Anaheim is 7-1-2.
- Howard is 8-3-1 with a 2.09 GAA and .930 SV% with 3 shutout in 12 career starts against the Ducks. He has more shutouts against the Ducks than any other team he's every faced.