10:00p ET, Sonics Arena
TV: Fox Sports Detroit
Radio: 97.1 The Ticket
Coyotes Blogs: Five for Howling
First and foremost I would like to apologize to Tyler (he has to write tonight's recap). On our latest podcast (download and listen to WIIM Radio here!) I was skeptical of the Red Wings chances in Anaheim against the Ducks and said, and I quote, "there is no way the Wings lose to the Coyotes on Monday." That's basically the kiss of death right there. You guys can direct any and all hatred my way after Detroit loses tonight's game.
To make matter worse, Mike Babcock stated last night after the game that Jonas Gustavsson would be getting the start in net. If I hadn't sealed the Wings fate on the podcast last week, well, Babs surely did when he made that decision. All the good that was done this weekend will be gone. My bad, folks. Let's just hope that no one gets hurt.
The Expected Lineup
Johan Franzen - Pavel Datsyuk - Justin Abdelkader
Valtteri Filppula - Henrik Zetterberg - Drew Miller
Damien Brunner -- Joakim Andersson -- Daniel Cleary
Gustav Nyquist - Cory Emmerton - Jordin Tootoo
Niklas Kronwall - Jonathan Ericsson
Brendan Smith - Ian White
Brian Lashoff - Jakub Kindl
Jonas Gustavsson (starting)
Scratches: Carlo Colaiacovo, Patrick Eaves and Kent Huskins
Injuries: Kyle Quincey (cheek), Mikael Samuelsson (finger), Todd Bertuzzi (back) and Darren Helm (back)
|RED WINGS||THE MATCH-UP||COYOTES|
|16-11-5 (37 pts; 5th in West)||Record||13-14-4 (30 pts; 12th in West)|
|2.66 (14th in NHL)||Goals Per Game||2.48 (23rd in NHL)|
|2.47 (9th)||Goals Against Per Game||2.71 (16th)|
|16.5% (21st)||Power Play %||15.0% (24th)|
|79.2% (22nd)||Penalty Kill %||83.0% (10th)|
|2 tied with 10 goals||Goal Leader||Shane Doan (11 goals)|
|Pavel Datsyuk (33 points)||Points Leader||Mikkel Boedker (19 points)|
- The Red Wings are 64-40-22-3 (W-L-T-OTL) all-time against the Phoenix Coyotes franchise.
- Phoenix has lost five straight games. I'm telling ya… the Wings have no shot.
- The Wings are 1-0-0 on Mondays this season. The only time they've played on a Monday was their 2nd game of the season. It was a 4-3 shootout win against the Blue Jackets.
- Detroit is 2-3-0 this season when facing a franchise that has relocated to a new city.
- The last time these two teams met was February 6, 2012. This was my 24th birthday. Naturally, the Wings lost 3-1. Franzen scored the lone Detroit goal. In case you were wondering, and I know you all were, the Wings haven't won on my birthday since 2002 when they beat the Rangers 3-1. On that awesome day 11 years ago, Kris Draper, Sergei Fedorov and Brent Gilchrist scored for the Wings. This has nothing to do with the Coyotes.
- Detroit is 6-3-1 in their last 10 games. Phoenix is 3-6-1.
- Gustavsson has never played the Coyotes, but he's 5-1-1 with a 2.51 GAA and .910 SV% against teams from the Pacific Division. Those are his best numbers against any division. So maybe it won't be that bad, right? (NOTE: It will be that bad).