We made some wild guesses in January. Here's how we did.
J.J. - As has become WIIM tradition, we started off last season with a set of BOLD PREDICTIONS for our fans to show off how great we are at looking into the future. As is also tradition, we sucked out loud at actually having those stupid things come true. However, since it's also tradition that either Graham or I win this thing every year because we're clearly the smartest two people who aren't commenters around here, it was only fitting that BOTH should win in this lockout-shortened season.
Graham - It's not just anyone who can out-smart our resident know-it-all, J.J. Last year I was able to best him in a battle of who could be the most insane and lucky at the same time, but this year I was not able to pull off the full repeat. However, a tie only serves to confirm that while we have a great community of writers and readers around here, we're all smarter than Jeff.
Here's a look back at the predictions, as well as our comments about each others' prognosticating abilities.
[Chris]: He should have been a regular in the Wings' lineup by March 1st.
[Jeff]: Graham must've meant March 1st, 2014.
[J.J.]: I almost want to count this, but I'm kind of glad he didn't stick, as he won the AHL's version of the Conn Smythe this year.
[Graham]: So so close.
[Chris]: I really wish that this wasn't true.
[Jeff]: Graham is a closet Leafs fan. He was wearing his Kessel jersey while predicting this.
[J.J.]: Thanks to the power of repetitive wishmaking, I'm rethinking my strategy for future predictions.
[Graham]: Finally something ending prematurely pays off for me.
- - -
So now that we got the fun part out of the way, here's the embarrassing part: the part where we show how much better the commenters are at doing this than we are.
7. Pittsburgh will get demolished in the playoffs the way they were against the Flyers last season. (Yes, I know I just predicted that Pittsburgh would make the playoffs. Tears are streaming down my face.) - uvgt2bkdnme
6. Ovie wins the Rocket Richard
2. Filppula regresses from last season due to his lingering knee injury which will need surgery in the offseason, only putting up 15-20 points and not making an impact in the playoffs.
[ed note: This one is arguable because he did actually pot a game-winning goal in the playoffs, but the 15-20 points thing was very good]
9. Every time someone reminds Ilya Kovalchuk he’s signed for the next 50 some odd years in New Jersey, he bursts into tears and runs away.
[ed note: I'm counting this one]
9. Penguins defense is worse than ours.
J.J. - Ok, maybe you guys aren't better at this. There were a few other's there that were right, but I don't think they were bold. Let's just call this one a mulligan (except in that I definitely get credit for winning in two out of three years we've done this).