The Red Wings dropped a heartbreaker to Arizona on Tuesday night, dominating large stretches of play yet somehow getting shut down by a goalie who only put up a .900 save percentage. The highlights barely do it justice, but Detroit got let down by a combination of bounces, their defense, and their goaltending. I thought it was a dubious decision to let Jimmy Howard start the third based on the way things had gone to that point. Things weren't going his way. I'm just glad the Wings got a point before that decision bit them when Howard let the softest goal of the night get by him in overtime.
Enjoy 4:24 of game highlights courtesy of NHL.com
Highlights of the highlights:
- Somehow in less than four and a half minutes to show nine goals, we get nearly a full minute into the video before we actually see a goal scored.
- It takes another full minute of the Red Wings' inability to score in highlights before goal #2 shows up.
- Seven of the next eleven clips are goals.
- Included in the clips that aren't goals? Two chances by Jurco, a brief moment of the 5-on-3 kill, and a useless transition that shows the last four seconds of regulation to set up OT.
- No replay of any of Mike Smith's hilarious dives.
Corsi Timeline from Hockeystats.ca