With the NHL set to expand next summer, it is no doubt on the back of the minds of the league general managers as we approach this offseason.
Generalfanager.com has a list of expansion rules for 2017 based on reporting from various NHL writers;
- " Players with two years of professional experience or less are exempt from the process.
- Players with NMCs must be protected, but may be exposed if the player agrees to waive his NMC
- Teams can protect 7 forwards, 3 defensemen and 1 goaltender
- Teams must expose 2 forwards and 1 defenseman that play 40 games in the 2016-17 season or 70 games between the 2015-16 and 2016-17 seasons. Players that have already exceeded the 70 game threshold are denoted as 70, players projected to exceed either the 40/70 game thresholds are denoted as 40/70.
- Teams must expose one goaltender who is either under contract for 2017-18 or an RFA in the 2017 off-season."
- Also important to note that TSN's Daren Dreger Mentioned on a radio appearance regarding expansion draft rules, "Bill Daly (National Hockey League Deputy Commissioner) tells me there's so much misinformation out there, I can't even begin to start."
|Protected||Unprotected||Could Go Either Way||2017 UFA||Notable Exempt|
|Henrik Zetterberg||Martin Frk||Tomas Jurco||
|Gustav Nyquist||Tomas Nosek||Teemu Pulkkinen||Luke Glendening||Anthony Mantha|
|Riley Sheahan||Mitch Callahan||Andreas Athanasiou|
|Tomas Tatar||Louis-Marc Aubry||Evgeny Svechnikov|
|Justin Abdelkader||Johan Franzen||
|Danny Dekeyser||Eric Tangradi||
|Alexey Marchenko||Colin Campbell||
|Mike Green||Niklas Kronwall||
|Petr Mrazek||Jonathan Ericsson||