It’s that time of year again! Time for our writers to make some BOLD predictions about the upcoming hockey season. If you haven’t experienced this series before, our writers break into groups of three or four, and each make five BOLD predictions for the 2017-18 season. We then respond to our other group members’ predictions.
Feel free to put your own predictions in the comments and/or respond to our predictions in the comment sections.
Today we wrap it up with the group of JJ, Kyle, Prashanth, and Graham. While everyone was able to make their predictions, Graham wasn’t able to respond to the others’ predictions. So, we are going to assume that he thinks they are all correct.
Enjoy the predictions!
1. The Red Wings will finish above Toronto in the standings
Kyle: Auston Matthews has a five-goal game against DET, but TOR still lose 6-5
Prashanth: I am actively rooting for this to happen just so I can shove it in the face of every Leafs' fan
2. Frans Nielsen will finish no worse than fifth in Selke voting
Kyle: That's close enough to a Stanley Cup, I guess
Prashanth: While I agree that Nielsen deserves recognition, the last time he finished in the top-10 in Selke voting was 2010-2011. Won't happen at 33 years of age on a bad defensive team
3. The Dallas Stars will win the Stanley Cup (this one's for you, Kyle)
Kyle: They will miss the playoffs
Prashanth: Sneaky good pick. They'll be better than last year and Hitchcock is saying all of the right things
4. Joe Hicketts will play at least as many games for the Red Wings as Niklas Kronwall
Kyle: AWill still log fewer minutes than Kronwall
Prashanth: As much as I want this to happen, I see Blashill converting Witkowski back to defense before they ever call up Hicketts
5. The Red Wings' points leader this season will be under the age of 25
Kyle: Welcome to Big Tony's Meatball Emporium
Prashanth: Ehhhh this is a weaker bold prediction. Let's you take your pick from Mantha, Athanasiou, Larkin. I think Mantha has a monster year
1. Anthony Mantha serves up 30 of his spiciest meatballs (goals)
JJ: Jim Devellano has to eat every one
Prashanth: *Italian chef kissing fingers*
2. Red Wings will finish ahead of at least two teams in the East
JJ: Atlanta and Hartford
Prashanth: Dammit JJ said what I was going to say.
3. Connor McDavid single-handedly converts me into an Oilers fan
JJ: Kyle credits McDavid for what is really Milan Lucic and Kris Russell's doing
Prashanth: Peter Chiarelli will then trade you for a bag of pucks
4.The Golden Knights finish ahead of at least two teams in the West
JJ: The Golden Seals and North Stars
Prashanth: The Golden Knights will remain in playoff contention longer than the Red Wings and we all drink our sorrows away
5. Joe Hicketts plays his way into a role at some point in the regular season
JJ: Scouting assistant?
Prashanth: Only if he finds a way to sit on top of someone's shoulders
1. Connor McDavid wins the Art Ross by >20 points, marking the largest gap between the #1 and #2 scorers since Wayne Gretzky and Brett Hull in 1990-1991 (+32)
JJ: Milan Lucic gets all the credit for making space for him to work.
Kyle: Still won't be called the best player in the NHL
2. Gustav Nyquist becomes Detroit's first 30-goal scorer since 2008-2009
JJ: WIIM sets a new record for number of "Sell high!" comments over one off-season
Kyle: If not, Big Tony's got his back
3. After making the Stanley Cup Finals last year, the Nashville Predators will not qualify for the playoffs
JJ: I hope its a loss to Vegas that finishes it off too. Bonus points for James Neal GWG in that game.
Kyle: Subban wins the Norris
4. Nick Jensen leads the Red Wings' defense in points
JJ: I said Marchenko would do this last year. I'm just going to sit here quietly and sulk
Kyle: It will be one of the easiest "accomplishments" of his career
5. Petr Mrazek does not finish the season as a Red Wing
JJ: Even bolder: he finishes the season as a Griffin
Kyle:I hear Russia is lovely in the winter season
1. Despite missing at least 10 games, Andreas Athanasiou will finish top 3 in points on the Red Wings
JJ: Even better: he'll do it all shorthanded because those are the only minutes Blashill will give him.
Kyle: Gonna be a grim season if 0 points gets you in the top three
Prashanth: Only because all the guys ahead of him get traded
2. The Red Wings will have at least 1 point/game player who plays in at least 41 games
JJ: It'll be only the last 41 games and the Wings will be out of the playoffs, so those won't count.
Kyle: With a +/- of -50
Prashanth: Thomas Vanek isn't coming back Graham
3. The Red Wings are within 2 points of a playoff spot at the trade deadline
JJ: Can't wait for them to buy a forward who gets hurt.
Kyle: Yeah, there's no way this is happening.
Prashanth: *loud fart noise*
4. The Blue Jackets and Maple Leafs finish the regular season as the top 2 seeds in the East
JJ: Fuck you
Kyle: JJ gets red and nude
Prashanth: The NHL panicks
5. A Canadian team wins the Stanley Cup
JJ: The Arizona Coyotes
Kyle: Makes sense seeing that NHL players won't get a gold medal.
Prashanth: Your Canadian is showing