It’s that time of year again! Time for our writers to make some BOLD predictions about the upcoming hockey season. If you haven’t experienced this series before, our writers break into groups of three or four, and each make five BOLD predictions for the 2018-19 season. We then respond to our other group members’ predictions.
If you missed the first round of predictions, you can go read them here.
Because the games started Wednesday night, I just wanted to point out that all the predictions were made by Tuesday, October 2nd.
Feel free to put your own predictions in the comments and/or respond to our predictions in the comment sections.
Today’s group is JJ, Kyle, and me, Peter.
Enjoy our predictions!
1. Danny DeKeyser leads the Red Wings defense in goals this season.
Kyle: I’ll bet that if this happens, he has the least assists of any defensemen.
Peter: Now, that is bold.
2. Jimmy Howard and Gustav Nyquist are both traded this season
Kyle: Both traded to Anaheim for Jared Coreau and Ryan Getzlaf
Peter: For Kindle and a third?
3. ...and Jimmy Howard fetches the bigger return
Kyle: See above response.
Peter: For Kindle and 2 thirds?
4. Dylan Larkin receives at least 20 points in the Hart Trophy voting
Kyle: Still won’t be named a top-100 player in the NHL
Peter: I didn’t know he was a deer hunter
5. The Ottawa Senators are sold by season’s end.
Kyle: Will be moved to Quebec City
Peter: To what’s left of the fanbase, after they start a Go Fund Me
1. Thomas Vanek waives his NTC
JJ: To go to Columbus!
Peter: And then promptly gets injured like Mike Green did.
2. The Calder and Hart trophies are won by defensemen
JJ: None from Ottawa
Peter: Heiskanen and Burns
3. Michael Rasmussen doesn’t see one minute in the CHL
JJ: Because he becomes a Dan Milstein client and signs in the KHL by January
Peter: But does he see more than one minute? Nah. I agree with this one.
4. A defenseman wins Red Wings ROTY
JJ: Yeah ok.
Peter: And it’s Libor Sulak
5. That stupid Flyers mascot says something offensive on Twitter that ends up deleted
JJ: Shitty Gritty says something that isn’t pretty
Peter: His love of milkshakes leads him down a dark path
1. Ottawa has a -100 or worse goal differential.
JJ: Wrong centurion I suppose
Kyle: Red Wings have a -101 goal differential
2. Henrik Borgstrom finished in the top 3 in Calder voting (I made this prediction before he was sent to the AHL, but being bold means not changing it.)
Kyle: Who the hell is that?
3. Andreas Athanasiou leads the Red Wings in goals this season
JJ: With 12
Kyle: This is about as likely as the Lions having a 1000 yard rusher this season.
4. Patrick Laine scores more than 50 goals and 90 points.
JJ: Most of them against the Blackhawks’ goaltending
Kyle: Kyle’s Response: He’s not scoring more goals than The Gr8 8.
5. Thomas Vanek scores more than 40 points on the Power Play
JJ: For Columbus
Kyle: You serious, Clark?