Round 1 is in the books! In a draft where the pressure was on Ken Holland & Co. to deliver, indications right now are that the Detroit Red Wings have walked away with some absolute steals.
With our first pick of the night at #6, Wings fans listened intently as Filip Zadina fell from an expected #2 or #3 spot right into our laps. Widely regarded as a “Tier 2” player in this draft along with Andrei Svechnikov (Rasmus Dahlin being the only “Tier 1” player), Zadina falling to us at #6 is both unexpected and extremely welcomed. Per jmcurran28’s profile on Zadina, it was widely thought we would have to trade up to get him.
If that wasn’t enough, another name started to slip as the 1st round crept towards the Wings’ pick at #30. Joe Veleno was widely thought to be a top-15 pick, even cracking the top-10 in the ISS Hockey and McKeen’s Hockey rankings. When talent like that slides to you at #30, you can’t pass that up - Ken Holland even said so:
Ken Holland just now on NBC:— Kyle M. (@KyleWIIM) June 23, 2018
“We wanna get some D at some point, but we just couldn’t pass these forwards up.”
The speedy center from the QMJHL finished 10th overall in scoring for that league this past season. Check out Kyle’s write-up for more info on all there is to be excited about with Veleno.
All-in-all, this has to be viewed as a great 1st Round for Detroit. Great prospects fell into our lap, and instead of getting fancy, trading up or down, or going off the board thinking we had the smartest scouts in the room, we took the obvious talent that the Hockey Gods saw fit to bless us with - talent that, by most accounts, shouldn’t have made it to us. Perhaps the best part is that there is still obvious talent available as tonight comes to a close - meaning we should be able to start tomorrow off with some good picks or smart trades.
For those of you unfortunate enough to have missed the Draft live or participating in our Open Thread, here’s the full summary of the 1st Round:
- Rasmus Dahlin to Buffalo Sabres
- Andrei Svechnikov to Carolina Hurricanes
- Jesperi Kotkaniemi to Montreal Canadiens
- Brady Tkachuk to Ottawa Senators
- Barrett Hayton to Arizona Coyotes
- Filip Zadina to Detroit Red Wings
- Quintin Hughes to Vancouver Canucks
- Adam Boqvist to Chicago Blackhawks
- Vitali Kravtsov to New York Rangers
- Evan Bouchard to Edmonton Oilers
- Oliver Wahlstrom to New York Islanders
- Noah Dobson to New York Islanders
- Ty Dellandrea to Dallas Stars
- Joel Farabee to Philadelphia Flyers
- Grigori Denisenko to Florida Panthers
- Martin Kaut to Colorado Avalanche
- Ty Smith to New Jersey Devils
- Liam Foudy to Columbus Blue Jackets
- Jay O’Brien to Philadelphia Flyers
- Rasmus Kupari to Los Angeles Kings
- Ryan Merkley to San Jose Sharks
- K’Andre Miller to New York Rangers (pick acquired from Ottawa)
- Isac Lundestrom to Anaheim Ducks
- Filip Johansson to Minnesota Wild
- Dominik Bokk to St. Louis Blues (pick acquired from Toronto)
- Jacob Bernard to Ottawa Senators (from New York Rangers)
- Nicolas Beaudin to Chicago Blackhawks
- Nils Lundkvist to New York Rangers
- Rasmus Sandin to Toronto Maple Leafs (from St. Louis)
- Joseph Veleno to Detroit Red Wings
- Alexander Alexeyev to Washington Capitals
What do you think of our 1st Round picks?
This poll is closed
My faith in Ken Holland is fully restored!
Nice job by the front office to take what was given to them, now just don’t screw these kids up...
I’m tempering expectations until we’ve seen Zadina and Veleno play with the big club.
FIRE HOLLAND ZOMG WHY DID WE NOT GET DAHLIN RAWR?!?!?!?!