The 2023 NHL Draft Lottery is tonight: Where the Red Wings stand
The odds are not in Detroit's favor.
The Detroit Red Wings have another slim chance at a franchise-altering talent tonight. Steve Yzerman doesn't have the odds on his side, but maybe we finally see a stroke of luck.
WATCH: 8pm ET on ESPN
POST: We'll have plenty of reaction here at WIIM (make sure you subscribe!)
What to know
- Anaheim has the best odds at getting the first pick: 25.5%
- The Red Wings have a 5% chance of getting the first pick and 5.2% chance of getting the second pick
- The Red Wings' most-likely landing spot is the ninth pick (64.4%)
- Detroit also has the 18th pick in this year's draft (via NYI)
What's at stake
Well, the Wings have a five-percent chance of winning the Connor Bedard sweepstakes. We've all been here a couple of times before.. Something, something the odds are not in our favor. Things of that nature.
If Detroit ended up with the second pick (big if), the consolation prize is Hobey Baker-winner Adam Fantilli. Not bad. I'm kind of getting 2015 vibes from this Draft. The likely outcome is that the Wings end up with the 9th pick and we're spending all summer speculating who Steve Yzerman will select. We should all be wishing that Oliver Moore or Will Smith slide come Draft day.
2023 NHL Draft: Key dates
- June 4-10: NHL Scouting Combine
- June 28: Round 1 of the 2023 NHL Draft (ESPN/SN)
- June 29: Rounds 2-7 of the 2023 NHL Draft (NHL Network/SN)