Quick Hits: The Numbers of Questions Edition
In Red Wings Land
Five questions facing Detroit Red Wings - NHL
1. Can Alex Nedeljkovic sustain his success?
2. How much will the offense improve, particularly the power play?
3. Can Jakub Vrana and Filip Zadina reach new levels?
4. Can Moritz Seider contend for the Calder Trophy?
5. Will other young players crack the roster?
Yes, some, yes, yes, yes.
Around the League
NHL Player Milestones to Watch During the 2021-22 season - Sports Illustrated
Kris Russell – 34 blocks to 2,000
More of a badge of honor than a badge of accomplishment, Russell would be the first defenseman to record 2,000 blocked shots since the league started tracking the stat in 2005. Brent Seabrook is the all-time leader with 1,998, but he’s longer playing and the next closest are Duncan Keith (1,896), Andy Green (1,873) and Marc-Edouard Vlasic (1,830). Russell has his fair share of detractors – you only block shots because you don’t have the puck – but you can’t deny that it takes an insane amount of dedication and fearlessness to willingly stand in front of a flying piece of vulcanized rubber 2,000 times.
Some of the entries on the list are quite interesting but my asshole brain focuses on the dumb one.