WIIM Radio Mailbag for October 5th
We're single-digit days away from the start of the Red Wings season and are back for another episode of WIIM Radio!
Since the last time we talked, the Wings have finished both training camp and all eight of their preseason games. The roster is getting finalized very soon in preparation for Friday night's opening night matchup against the Maple Leafs. We'll be recording a new episode of WIIM Radio tonight to go over everything. Here's a brief rundown:
- Like a real general manager, we'll try to build from the goaltender out: how have Jimmy Howard and Petr Mrazek looked? is there any way that decision can go wrong for Blashill specifically on opening night?
- We've been told that Friday's (this weekend's?) game(s) would feature "as close to NHL rosters" as possible. how much can we glean from the lineups Blashill put together for the series against the Maple Leafs?
- How big is Danny DeKeyser's injury?
- Have Brendan Smith and Jakub Kindl made good use of their "fresh starts" in the preseason under Blashill?
- Have any of the kids staked a claim to spots on the blue line? are they stuck waiting for callups whenever injuries happen?
- Dylan Larkin.
- Any other kid forwards besides Larkin that should be on the roster? Dylan Larkin.
- What about the veterans? can we really expect Drew Miller to be a significant offensive contributor (significant = 10 goals)? any other veterans we might expect to play above expectations?
As a reminder, we finish every episode with reader questions. We love hearing from you and answering your queries. There's a pretty decent chance we're going to be going over the roster very heavily, but we want all the questions. We'll worry about which ones we have and haven't answered when we get there.
Thanks and LGRW!